Homophobia Over a BLT: What Meal Deal Talk Really Says About British Culture

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

Two topics have gripped the UK in 2016: Brexit and meal deals. The emergence of the Meal Deal Talk Facebook group brought our lunchtime selections under more scrutiny than we could ever have imagined.  It is easy to look at this group as a celebration of British culture- dry, trivial humour combined with an obsession with sandwiches. But is this group just banter over a BLT? Or is there a darker side to the Meal Deal mania?

There are many ways in which to roast someone’s meal deal. My personal favourites have included ‘where are the crisps you obstreperous w*** trumpet?’, ‘are your parent’s siblings by any chance?’ and, in response to someone whose meal deal included a can of Monster Energy drink, ‘My Chemical Romance aren’t getting back together. Get over it’. However, the mob mentality of the group has led to comments containing racist, homophobic and misogynistic language, ‘this deal is so Wong’ (about an Asian member’s meal deal) and even, ‘you are clearly a rape victim’. None of these comments have been removed by the group admins. The group description claims that ‘any racist/homophobic/transphobic comments will end in a ban’, however this is followed by a disclaimer stating that by entering the page, people must accept that they may find some content which they find offensive. This is basically a statement defending racist, homophobic and misogynistic behaviour in the group with the attitude of ‘if you don’t like it go somewhere else’- a response typically used to excuse ignorance in our society.

When swear words and statements such as ‘Nazi’ (about a German exchange student), which would not be tolerated elsewhere on the internet, are being thrown around without attracting any sort of criticism, it leaves us to question why this group has developed in the way that it has. Are the people using these terms actually homophobes, racists and misogynists who have now found an outlet in which they can express their views without criticism? Or has the group created an environment in which it’s okay to use prejudiced language in a way that is considered less offensive?

To find the answer, you’d have to consider whether or not there can be situations in which people can use offensive and discriminating language in a non-offensive way. Simon Cowell was recently criticised for making a homophobic joke about Rylan Clark-Neal on an episode of the Xtra Factor. But Rylan defended Cowell, claiming that it was just a joke between friends, and therefore he did not consider it to be genuinely homophobic or offensive. This suggests that there can be situations in which homophobic language can be deemed acceptable because of the people involved and the nature of their friendship. Yet the Meal Deal Talk group is not just joking between friends, it is complete strangers referring to each other using homophobic, racist and misogynistic language without facing any consequences.

Another interesting trend within the group is the members’ general disdain for any meal deal that appears to be too expensive or too cheap. Anybody who dares to post anything from M&S or Waitrose is immediately branded as posh, while anyone whose meal deal is too simple is also torn to shreds for being ‘dull’. This indicates that the group’s membership has a clear social identity as lower middle-class: people who can afford to buy a meal deal every day, but also people who resent upper middle-class decadence and prestige. Interestingly, the lower-middle class is also the target audience of the Daily Mail, a newspaper notorious for spreading racist, homophobic and misogynistic views. Could this group have created a space for prejudiced people to voice their opinions with no fear of backlash?

Despite the fact that this group was set up for comedic purposes, and that perhaps not every member using this language shares these offensive views in real life, by allowing the group to continue in its current manner, we send out the impression that there is a place for racist, homophobic and misogynistic language in our society. So is Meal Deal Talk a celebration of British wit, or does it highlight the most shameful aspects of our culture?  

Edited by: Tia Ralhan

Sources:

http://www.j-sainsbury.co.uk/media/latest-stories/2014/0515-bigger-better-gbp-3-meal-deal-from-sainsburys/

https://uk.pinterest.com/mdwalker0469/meal-deal/

http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/simon-cowell-x-factor-2014-3059100