HCN Attends the Opening of The Studio

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

It’s white, it’s open, it’s as colourful as a primary school classroom. Can you believe that this once was the Den? (we certainly can’t!)

It’s always exciting to attend a moment of initiation and this, with a promise of prosecco (hey, who doesn’t like bubbles? Especially those authorised by university, to drink during studying hours), was no different. So there I was, at midday, buoyed up with a Starbucks to fuel my seminar reading and instead found myself downstairs in Portland ready for the launch of The Studio: the University of Nottingham’s brand new student space and renovation of what was previously The Den.

The Studio is everything The Den wasn’t, which can only be described as a grim, dilapidated pit; rarely used, untrusted by many of the University Student population and predominantly neglected until the Spring when it was used for the annual SU Elections. It was ignored. It was grim. It literally had no purpose. It could essily be described as the un-fun sibling of the SU spaces, or merely as a desolate extension of Mooch which has always been the main attraction for students thanks to its inviting appeal, warmth, light, food and pool tables…The Studio however surpasses them all.

It was such a thrill to stand in this bright and inviting place. I truly am impressed by the sheer expanse of space that is available to us. The Studio boasts individual lounging areas, an outdoor setting for warmer and drier weather, two booths to hide in for some independent time away from the main communal seating area (I mean, there’s a tv screen, for Netflix maybe?), an enclosed classroom, a performance space and multiple plush stools and seats for students to perch upon, chat, study or mingle. The Studio really does accommodate all uses and it is entirely acceptable to sit sipping a cheeky Starbucks in there (I asked).

Amongst the numerous bottles of Prosecco that were continuously popped this afternoon, there were live performances by our Tamil and Sri Lankan societies in a way that showcased the Studio’s multiple uses, plus a wide spread of food, fruit and cakes which completed the launch perfectly.

I happily raise my flute of bubbles in a salute to the university and its SU for pulling off such an impressive and successful stunt. I’m so excited that it’s ready to use before I graduate from here in the summer!

Edited by Naomi Upton

All images writer’s own

Harry Potter Fanatic. What's life without a fresh, steaming coffee, a book to hand, and soaking in the London rain? Nox.
Naomi Upton

Nottingham

Naomi is a third year English student at Nottingham University and Co-Editor in Chief of HC Nottingham. Naomi would love a career in journalism or marketing but for now she spends her time beauty blogging, attempting to master the delicate art of Pinterest, being an all-black-outfit aficionado, wasting time on Buzzfeed, going places, taking pictures and staying groovy.