jakob owens B5sNgRtYPQ4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jakob owens B5sNgRtYPQ4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

HC Investigates: What IS Jason Derulo talking about in ‘Trumpets’?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

Jason Derulo has had a successful music career so far following his debut single Whatcha Say in 2009, with a string of hits including Ridin’ Solo, It Girl and Talk Dirty. After hearing the 24 year old’s latest song Trumpets I was very intrigued as to what these other songs were that JD was reminded of. Her Campus investigates some of the possibilities!

Lyric: Is it weird that your ass remind me of a Kanye West song?

Worst case scenario: All Falls Down – not a brilliant compliment to say to a girl, sounds like cellulite!

Best case scenario: New Workout Plan – all those gym sessions and ‘legs, bums and tums’ classes have done their work and JD knows she’s been working out.

Other possibilities: Gold Digger, Good Life, Champion

Lyric: Is it weird that your bra remind me of a Katy Perry song?

Worst Case Scenario: E.T – aliens and bras are not a great combo, let’s leave it at that.

Best Case Scenario: California Gurls – remember the video with the cupcake bras and one that squirted cream? I think this is what he’s thinking about.

Other possibilities: Hot N Cold, Firework (the video features fireworks exploding from KP’s chest)

Lyrics: Is it weird that your eyes remind me of a Coldplay song?

Worst case scenario: Yellow – yellow eyes can be a symptom of jaundice, so maybe this isn’t the song he’s thinking of.

Best case scenario: Paradise – a much better word to associate with a girl’s eyes and it’s such an uplifting song, not to mention the cute elephant video.

Other possibilities: Princess of China, Every Teardrop is a Waterfall, Trouble

If you haven’t seen the video for this former number one, check it out below. Look out for the talking (topless!) picture of Jason on the wall, the trumpet playing musicians who love jumping on Jason’s bed and car, and the cheeky little Snapchat-esque bicep flex at the end (it only lasts one second).

Leona Hinds

Nottingham

Leona is a final year languages student. This year she's back in Nottingham after spending her year abroad in the Canary Islands and China. She is sporty, curious and has a weakness for Kit Kat Chunkys.