Haircut Heaven: Take the Leap of Faith!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

I have had incredibly long hair for years and it had slowly become unmanageable and unhealthy – hell, it was essentially turning into dreadlocks. I hate getting my hair cut – hairdressers never seem to listen to me and I always end up with a bizarre fringe or an awkward bob. My hair had become my favourite asset and despite its condition I knew I would be hard pressed to let it go.

Before

After

After much persuasion, I got into the hairdresser’s chair and said the unthinkable: ‘cut it all off!’ So I sat there watching her hack at my hair and watching my tresses fall limply on to the floor. I had my doubts, but the end result has left my hair softer and a million times more manageable. No more getting brushes stuck in my hair, frizzy nightmares or needing to take two hours out of my day to straighten it.  I know I’m not the only haircut dodger out there, but I can’t stress how a good haircut can change the way you feel about yourself.

With the additional help of certain wonder products I have finally found a quick and easy routine that is manageable for every day. The following products make such a difference to the look and feel of my hair – I don’t think I’m ever going back!

TIGI Catwalk Sleek Mystique shampoo and conditioner- a good sulphate free shampoo and conditioner are vital to caring for the hair from the very beginning. Without a good base, any products added on top won’t work nearly as well. I picked these two up just before Christmas and have been impressed so far. My hair feels soft and ready to style every time.

ETI Turbodryer 3500- I swear this has a lawnmower engine in it. It’s literally the most powerful hairdryer I’ve ever used. I use it with the concentrator nozzle when my hair is about 70% dry. It was a little costly at around £50 but if you’re willing to shell out on pricey straighteners, I actually think this is more important.

Davines relaxing, moisturising fluid– This was used on me at the hairdressers. It is a wonder product. It makes my hair feel incredibly sleek when applied before blow drying or straightening. If you were to get one product for a hair routine I would recommend this.

Kerastase Elixer Ultime Oil – The best oil I have come across – products like Moroccan Oil are too thick and always leave a residue build up in my hair. Calms fly aways, heat protects and can also be used before shampooing or as a leave in treatment.

V05 ‘Give me texture’ dry texturising spray– It adds a slight tousled, effortless look to the layers in my hair. It also adds grip to the style, and can be used in between washes to refresh the hair.

GHD straighteners– goes without saying!

Tangle teezer– takes the pain out of brushing incredibly thick hair.

Edited by Faiza Peeran

Biochemistry Student, 20, Nottingham, Beauty Blogging Intern!
Sam is a Third Year at the University of Nottingham, England and Campus Correspondent for HC Nottingham. She is studying English and would love a career in journalism or marketing (to name two very broad industries). But for now, her favourite pastimes include nightclubs, ebay, cooking, reading, hunting down new music, watching thought-provoking films, chatting, and attempting to find a sport/workout regime that she enjoys!