jake dela concepcion SDktAkDbmgE unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jake dela concepcion SDktAkDbmgE unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

A Guy’s Perspective: Who Should Pay?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

Ah, a timeless debate. You go on a date with a boy, the date’s gone well and the bill arrives. Should he pick up the tab or should you share it? Let me just provisionally say, if this was a one-answer-fits-all dilemma, I neither would be writing this nor would you be reading it.

Views From A Male For me, who pays entirely depends on your age, job status and how long you’ve been seeing each other. Traditionally, guys were expected to pay for dates, as they tended to earn more money. But with a growing proportion of women making the same as their male counterparts, is it time to re-define societies traditions?Specifically at university, a place in which, let’s face it, guys and girls are equally broke, should you still expect him to pay?

Now I do realise that some girls say ‘boys ask girls on dates therefore they should really pay’, but that statement is fundamentally flawed. No one is forced to go on a date, he asked, you’ve agreed, it’s a decision between the both of you so the responsibility is shared and surely so is the bill?Besides, girls rarely ask guys out on dates, so with that ideology, we as boys will forever be forking out just to simply enjoy your presence! On a date, if the girl didn’t even offer to split the bill, it would lead me to think she’s either taken the date out of sympathy, or she’s a girl that feels ‘entitled’. I definitely would not be seeing her again. With all that being said, as a guy it all comes down to preference. Personally, as a man of dying traditions, I’d always pay for the first couple of dates, but a lot of my mates won’t, proving there’s no simplicity in the matter.  It’s 2014; girls should really be paying for dates just as much as guys do. You can pay for one, he can pay for another. Or why not go further and pay for the very first date! It’s a gesture that won’t go unnoticed, believe me. 

Views from a female

Now this is a sticky question.

My answer is YES. More specifically ‘yes’ to the first date. However you choose to proceed depends on whether you are a ‘Miss Independent’, traditional, or just somewhere in-between.

Paying on the first date is one of the most attractive things a guy can do. For me it’s bigger than dressing up for free food, it’s the symbol behind it. A guy that pays suggests to me that he is well mannered, put together and wants to take care of me.  There is nothing more uncomfortable than a guy looking at me at a dinner table waiting for me to chip in. As far as I’m concerned, if I have to pay my share there will not be a second date.

Is it the same for students? Aren’t we all broke? I’m sorry but I’m not asking for you to take me to the Shard or somewhere equally as extravagant. You’d happily spend large amounts on alcohol on a Friday night and not remember you’re broke! There is absolutely nothing wrong with taking me to a park and paying for a burger, after all, remember you’re the one that’s asked the girl out.  I don’t want to seem mean, but the truth of the matter is paying on the first date will always leave a lasting impression. Especially when done with a smile.

Now I’m not speaking for the masses, this is simply one girl’s opinion on things.

Images

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Guardian/Pix/pictures/2011/9/30/1317…

http://www.debtconsolidationusa.com/images/upload/payday_advance.jpg

Edited by Amelia Bauer-Madden

Abdullah Zubairu

Nottingham '19

Medic Advice Giver Style Lover
Sam is a Third Year at the University of Nottingham, England and Campus Correspondent for HC Nottingham. She is studying English and would love a career in journalism or marketing (to name two very broad industries). But for now, her favourite pastimes include nightclubs, ebay, cooking, reading, hunting down new music, watching thought-provoking films, chatting, and attempting to find a sport/workout regime that she enjoys!