Getting Festive for Christmas: University Edition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

Whilst Lenton may not be quite a suitable substitute for Lapland, I think that Christmas in a uni house is arguably one of the best moments of the academic year. From watching the best Christmas films every night in December, to putting up a tree or cooking a wholesome meal, there are plenty of things that you can do to get in the festive spirit at university.

Spend that student loan on decorations

Festive surroundings lead to festive feelings – a trip to Poundland for cheap décor such as tinsel, fairy lights and even a little tree with baubles will suffice to turn your basic living room into a holiday grotto. And setting it all up can even make for a great bonding experience with your housemates!

Take a trip to the Christmas market

Whilst it may not be as majestic as the one we were all introduced to a few years ago, Nottingham’s Christmas market transforms the Old Market Square into a winter wonderland of its own. With a bar, a Ferris wheel and a merry-go-round there is plenty to do, and even just walking through and seeing the lights can be quite wholesome!

Have a Christmas day as a house

Your uni housemates are essentially your second family; so why not have a cute family Christmas celebration with them? My housemates and I dedicate a day to (attempt to) cook a somewhat edible roast dinner and spend time together, playing games and eating yule log, all whilst Michael Buble is playing in the background of course. These are the moments you will look back on and remember as your favourite times at University, and it makes for a welcome break during deadline season!

Watch Christmas films… everyday!

Everyday might be an exaggeration – but making the effort to watch just a couple of festive classics this season will put you in the spirit and will be a nice way to have a break after working all day. If you end up watching them all year round like me, you’ll know which ones are your go to. I’m a particularly big fan of ‘The Holiday’!

Make the most of winter fashion

This final tip is a more light-hearted one. Dressing up in festive fashion is one of my favourite parts of the holiday season. Whether that be turtleneck jumpers and boots in the day or sparkly dresses and red lipstick at night, the fashion in this season is so much fun! So go to your society’s Christmas party or go to see the Christmas lights and take advantage of the fashion (and photo opportunities)!

These are just a few of my tips to enjoy December at university – why wait to celebrate Christmas at home when you can celebrate in Nottingham as well?

Have a fabulous Christmas,

Amrit x

I am currently a third year English and History student at the University of Nottingham. I am the Head of Reviews for Impact Magazine as well as the Live Editor for The Mic. In my spare time, I also chat about Formula One on a podcast for URN! My Twitter is @_amritvirdi and my Instagrams are @thevinylwriter and @amritvirdi._ - I also share my published works on these accounts.