This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

Christmas time is the perfect excuse to experiment with make-up you wouldn’t be seen dead in at other times of the year. From glittery cheeks to green eyeshadow, nothing is off the table during the festive season. So get rummaging through your cosmetics bag for that red lipstick you’ve never quite had the guts to don, because we’re taking you through a step-by-step routine to create the boldest beauty look of the year!

Christmas is the most hectic time of the year, but you don’t want that to show on your skin. Use your regular primer before applying Rimmel’s Wake Me Up Foundation (£8.99 at Boots). This anti-fatigue foundation contains radiance pearls that provide an instant glow, and is also enriched with vitamin C to give your skin an anti-ageing boost.

Next, you want to tackle those pesky under-eye bags while also subtly highlighting certain areas of your face. Dab Collection’s Illuminating Touch Concealer (£4.99 at Boots) under your eyes as well as on your forehead, nose, and chin before blending in with a brush or beauty blender. Make sure to get one a shade or two shades lighter than your skin tone to provide a highlighting effect!

When you’re spending most of your time with your closest family and friends, it’s okay to go for something a little cuter than normal. Instead of grabbing the contour, swipe up your cheekbones with Mac’s Sheertone Shimmer Blush (£19.50 at Mac) in either Breezy, Dollymix or Plum Foolery for a playful pop of colour.

If you’re feeling extra, swap your highlighter for glitter! Barry M does a Fine Glitter Dust (£4.59 at Boots) in silver, gold and pink. Take your pick and apply it around your cheekbones and eyebrows.  

The eyes are where it’s really at when it comes to Christmas looks. Fill in your brows and give your lashes a curl with your go-to mascara. If you want to take it further, falsies are your best friend. Eyelure’s Flase Lashes in Exaggerate (£6. 99 at Superdrug) really create that wow factor for special occasions!

After drawing a thick line across your bottom lid with your trusted eyeliner, apply NYX’s Prismatic Eyeshadow in Jaded (£5.50) for a shimmery yet bold finish.

Last but not least are the oh-so-lovely lips! Line and colour them before applying Maybelline’s Color Sensational Matte Lip Stick (£6.99). Despite its matte finish, this lipstick still feels super creamy! You can go for Siren in Scarlet if you want something bright, but my personal favourite is Divine in Wine. This brings a hint of the classic and classy to balance out an otherwise quirky look.

Edited by Angelica Beier

Image Sources

1

2

3

4

5

6

Emily Talbut

Nottingham

I'm a third year English student at University of Nottingham and when I'm not working or writing, I'm probably watching a Disney movie or listening to one of their soundtracks! I'm a Campus Correspondent for HC Nottingham and generally write about food, travel, and the food I've experienced on my travels!