From Qatar with love: can football and politics peacefully coexist?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

Arguably the most anticipated date in the football calendar, Qatar 2022 promises football fans unforgettable moments and a chance to see their idols play their final cup matches, all set in desert metropolis. Whilst this should be the focal point, Qatar has been an event shrouded in controversy, particulary over its laws regarding same- sex relations and additionally, the treatment of migrant workers during the construction of the event. Is this impossible to ignore, particularly in this day and age?

FIFA, the global football organisation, certainly believes so. In a letter published recently, FIFA’s president Gianni Ifantio calls for fans to stop politicising the tournament and just accept that football and politics are a separate matter. This is near enough impossible in a country that has such stringent rules on same-sex relations, transgender people and women. How can a tournament aimed at unifying the football community work in a country that discriminates against such a large section? Whilst Qatar promises that all fans- regardless of sexual orientation and gender, will be treated equally and with respect, it is a worry for LQBTQ+ fans travellling to Qatar that this might not be the case. 

So what are teams doing about this? Both Wales and England have chosen to wear the rainbow ‘One Love’ armbands throughout the tournament, a subtle yet brilliant way of showing their union with football fans – no matter their sexual orientation or gender. Furthermore, Denmark has chosen to don an all black kit, with their sponsor, Hummel stating that they did not want to advertise their brand in a country with such discriminatory views.

Additionally, Qatar has been scrutinised for its treatment of workers during the construction of not only the stadium but also the vast amount of accommodation built for the tournament. Scorching hot conditions, unpaid wages and a lack of food and water, conditions in Qatar have been comparable by some to the equivalent of modern day slavery. Workers, drawn in by false promises of significant pay checks and overtime, face a reality where their voice is drowned out by powerful organisations such as FIFA whose reforms have done little to regulate abuse on worker sites.

I, for one, cannot wait for the World Cup to start on November the 20th. I am excited to see my country (Wales) play in the Cup for only their second time in history and also see some of my favourite players on the global stage. However, whilst you watch, spare a quick thought for the sacrifice it took to get here. FIFA cannot claim to be inclusive for all if they chose to host in a country that sidelines so many of the football community and it is imperative we think about this before deciding whether to watch it or not.

Tilly Gough

Nottingham '24

Tilly Gough is the Joint Editor in Chief for the Nottingham Chapter of Her Campus, with her interests including social issues in sport, particularly football and modern- day culture. She overseas a team of over 30 writers, finalising all articles before they are published and additionally, helps the committee with planning events and social media. She is a final year History Student at the University of Nottingham. In her free time, she enjoys recreational running, spending time with her friends, family, boyfriend and binge- watching series on Netflix.