Fox Cafe Review: The Cutest Cafe in Nottingham

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

Despite growing up in Nottingham and now being at university here, I had never been to the Fox Café, located on Pelham Street in Hockley, until this year. After a couple of visits, it has certainly become one of my new favourite lunch stops!

Walking in the door, you are struck by one of the things that is so enjoyable about visiting the Fox Café – that it has managed to retain its own unique vibe in a world that is ever-modernising and conforming to certain ‘on trend’ aesthetics. Unlike many other brands which are more commercialised and chain-y, both the layout and the décor of this café are highly individual and full of quirks, which gives it a homely feel.

The food choices are aplenty, and include vegetarian and vegan options. With all-day breakfasts, and a large selection of hot and cold sandwiches to choose from, this is definitely a spot for breakfast, brunch, or lunch, and if you’re still hungry there is a selection of cakes at the counter to choose from too! As a vegetarian it was a refreshing change to see some more varied sandwich fillings than the standard falafel and houmous (as great as it is, it can get a little boring!) and therefore I chose a roasted vegetable, emmental and pesto panini which hit the spot perfectly. With all of their sandwiches you have the option to add a side salad and crisps for an extra couple of pounds. This means that if you have a bigger appetite you can still be satisfied, yet it also works out well for those who don’t, or want to save money.

Equally, the coffee was well made and also suitably hot – sometimes I find coffees to be a bit lukewarm by the time they arrive at the table and this is always very disappointing! Although I always have stuck to my trusty favourite of a caramel latte, there are all the usual coffee and tea options you would expect, plus some specials. I was tempted by the Kinder Bueno latte (or you could have it as a hot chocolate) but at £4 it seemed a little overpriced – that’s more than you would pay in the big chains. For those who prefer cold drinks, there are a selection of those on offer too so you would struggle not to find something you fancied.

Overall, I would recommend the Fox Café to anyone in need of a cheerful and reasonably priced light meal, or drink. The staff have always been friendly and welcoming, and especially in this day and age, supporting local independent businesses such as this one is something that should be encouraged to everyone in order to retain a sense of individuality in our city.

Rebekah Dussek

Nottingham '21

Reviewer and Head of Social Media for Her Campus Nottingham