Wellness

Four Fun Ideas to Get You in the Christmas Mood!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

Sometimes it can be hard to feel festive in the run-up to Christmas, especially with deadlines and exam season looming so, I have compiled a list of my top four ideas of Xmas-themed ideas to help get you in the mood!

Go to the Christmas market:

One thing which is always fun to do in Nottingham around this time is going to the Christmas market! It is always such a beautiful environment (especially in the evening when it is all lit up), and there are so many things to do. There are also numerous food stalls, whether you fancy something savoury, like a Yorkshire pudding wrap or sweet, like pancakes or some doughnuts. The market also has lots of small stalls which you can have a look at, you could even find a cool Christmas present for your family! 

If you fancy a scenic view of both the city and the market then you will enjoy going on the Ferris wheel! This is also a good way to catch up with the people you are with without a massive crowd being around. 

Another must-do is the ice rink. For adults, this starts at about £12.50 per person so, if you are a fan of ice skating, this would be a nice thing to do surrounded by the lights of the market. However, I would suggest going at an off-peak time and booking in advance as sometimes the ice rink can get very busy. 

Spend the night in:

If you fancy a night in or are feeling a bit broke, there are still a lot of options you can do whilst being warm and cosy under a blanket. 

This can include options like doing a baking night. You could design pizzas, for a more festive approach, you could create them in the shape of a Christmas tree or snowman. Or, in some shops, I have seen a gingerbread house-making kit, which would also be a fun thing to do with your friends. Whatever you decide to bake, you are left with something delicious to eat afterwards!

Another option is to decorate mugs, which I have seen a lot of people doing. This is a lovely idea if you want something sentimental which you can keep. It would also be nice to see what you are your friends have created at the end of it. 

Do a Secret Santa

Doing a Secret Santa is something I always find fun to do at Christmas. Usually, when I am doing it with my friends, we all have a spending cap of about £10, which means no one overspends or feels they have to spend too much. I think this is always such a good idea, as it’s always a surprise with what you end up getting, and there is always such a build-up where you are guessing who got you. 

This is also something you can make an evening out of, whether you are just chilling or making something bigger out of it. If you are doing it with housemates, it might be nice to have your Christmas dinner afterwards!

Go to the Savoy and watch a Christmas movie!

The Savoy is always a hotspot to go to, especially if you are a student as the tickets here are only £5 per person!

At this time of year, the Savoy are always showing Christmas movies. For example, right now they have showings such as Elf, Home Alone and The Polar Express which are bound to get you in the festive mood! The Savoy is also such a lovely environment to go to, whatever you’re in the mood for watching. 

Cara Meikle

Nottingham '24

My names Cara, I am in third year and studying English with Creative Writing.