Food to Make Your Bonfire Night Go With A Bang!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

Bonfire night is one of the best nights of the year; it is a lovely way to spend the evening with friends and family whilst getting to watch a brilliant show. Now that it’s only a few days away, I thought I would share some of my favourite foods for the evening. The key to great food is for it to be easy to eat as well as it to be fun, and if possible, able to keep you warm whilst you watch the fireworks.  Here are my top five foods and the recipes:

1.       Toffee Apples

I can’t think of anyone who doesn’t love a good toffee apple around this time of the year. A staple in the bonfire night tradition, they can come in several varieties, with chocolate, sprinkles or just a good old classic toffee. Also they are a great way to use up your left over apples from apple bobbing at Halloween.

2.       Parkin

This is more of one from the older generation, but you can’t break with tradition. It is a gingery treacle sponge which fills you up a treat, plus when else are you really going to eat this? It’s a sponge which really sums up bonfire night for me.

3.       Bangers and Beans

Those of us who need a little bit more sustenance can move away from the sweet to the savoury with this meal.  Although it can be eaten throughout the year, it suits the occasion very well, keeping you nice and toasty throughout the evening.

You shouldn’t really need a recipe for this one as it is pretty self-explanatory but for the more domestically challenged amongst you, click the link!

4.       S’mores

If you are having your own bonfire, this is the perfect snack for you. They are incredibly moreish (pun intended) as well as easy and fun to make. Suitable for all ages, only a stick and a sweet tooth is required.

5.       Tomato Soup

There are two options to take for this winter warmer. You can take the easy way out and make it from the tin. There is no judgement here and you know it has to be Heinz. But for the braver ones amongst you, I will attach a recipe to make it from scratch. My hat goes off to you, but I’ll keep my scarf on if that’s alright.

Photo Sources

BBC Good Food

Allrecipes

Her Campus Photo Bank 

Edited by Luisa Parnell

Helen Topham

Nottingham

Sam is a Third Year at the University of Nottingham, England and Campus Correspondent for HC Nottingham. She is studying English and would love a career in journalism or marketing (to name two very broad industries). But for now, her favourite pastimes include nightclubs, ebay, cooking, reading, hunting down new music, watching thought-provoking films, chatting, and attempting to find a sport/workout regime that she enjoys!