This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

It’s the time of year again with lots of sports going on; the Winter Olympics, Superbowl and Six Nations just for starters. Not everyone is a fan of playing or watching sports, but some of you might enjoy it watching it with your housemates or boyfriends. I like to have as many people as possible to watch sports with, making it a much more fun and relaxed atmosphere and so taking some of the pressure off of the game.  However, as fun as it is watching the sports, I think the snacks are the best part of it. Obviously it would be easier to buy all this food in from the supermarket but I find making it half of the fun. There is such wide range of snacks to make; mainly savoury, but sweet should also be put on offer.

Personally I like having a range of dips. This usually covers most people’s tastes and they are quick and easy to do.

Some of the best dips to make are:

1.       Guacamole

2.       Salsa

3.       Houmous

4.       Garlic-Herb dip

5.       Buffalo dip

Now we come to the issue of what to dip. There are the classic carrot and cucumber as the healthy options, but let’s be honest, we all love crisps and tortilla chips. As a slightly healthier alternative why not use toasted pitta breads, potato wedges (you could also use sweet potato) or make your own tortilla chips.

Something more filling is also needed. For this I would recommend making burgers; people watching with you can make their own, adding various fillings such as salad, cheese and different sauces. Chicken legs or wings are always a hit and are brilliant finger food. Bbq drumsticks are my favourite to make and if any are left over they can be put in the fridge for another day. Pizza is something which is always needed, whether these are big ones or little pizza bites. You can vary the base by making them on pitta bread, baguettes or even making them into rolls.

Last but by no means least: the sweet foods. By this I mean brownies, cookies or anything else small and sweet. A variety of drinks is always safest; beers, spirits, juices and anything else you can think of will ensure that there is something for everyone.

This would be how I would put together my game day feast. The leftovers can be used as lunch and dinner for the days to follow and it’s just a great way to spend time with friends without having to leave the comfort of the sofa. 

Photo Sources

Google Images

Edited by Luisa Parnell

Helen Topham

Nottingham

Sam is a Third Year at the University of Nottingham, England and Campus Correspondent for HC Nottingham. She is studying English and would love a career in journalism or marketing (to name two very broad industries). But for now, her favourite pastimes include nightclubs, ebay, cooking, reading, hunting down new music, watching thought-provoking films, chatting, and attempting to find a sport/workout regime that she enjoys!