Film Review: I Wanna Dance With Somebody

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

Over recent years the ‘biopic’ has been hitting the cinema screens, a particular genre of film which looks to dramatise the life of certain influential and infamous figures, including Freddie Mercury, Sir Elton John, Elvis Presley and most recently Whitney Houston.

The film’s title ‘I Wanna Dance With Somebody’ refers to her infamous and much-loved song, additionally capturing the sentiment of the film and the soul of Houston, an individual who set out to spread joy and connect to people through her voice and music (something she most definitely achieved).

Yet, as the title of the film and the song suggests
there is a darker twist in Houston’s narrative and the biopic seeks to bring forth the human soul and individual behind the ‘voice of a generation’ to the viewer. A remarkable individual who looked for love and a human connection.

In and amongst the highs and lows of the narrative laced between the gripping dialogue, the long-listed iconic music of Whitney Houston shines out from the moments of joy and the shadows.

Directed by Kasi Lemmons, who excellently casts Naomi Ackie, Stanley Tucci and Tamara Tunie as Whitney, Clive and Sissy. Ackie is brilliant in capturing the strong, hard-working, ambitious character of Houston and brings to life one of the most seminal figures of musical history.

Though we are shown her tumultuous battle with addiction, these shadows of Houston’s life and career do not invoke criticism and judgement from the viewer. Ackie shows an incredible individual who had so much love and kindness for the world and the people around her. I was instilled with sympathy and admiration at Houston and her struggles.

Despite the film addressing the darker side of Houston’s musical career, for me, it is in essence a celebration of the plethora of music Houston gave to the world as well as the joy that came hand in hand with such songs. But the film like previous biopics explores the human and living individual behind their music.

Love, the lack of love and the quest for it flow through the entirety of the film.
To begin with the lifelong love between Robyn and Whitney, the difficult relationship between her mother and father, her search for love in her husband Bobby Brown, her unwavering adoration for her daughter and her enduring love and commitment to her music and fans.

Much more could be discussed about the film and the issues it brings forth, but I will keep it short…

I think the film was thoughtfully crafted in homage to the late great Whitney Houston. On the screen, we can see the extraordinary legacy of a marvellous woman. I was left with emotions of sadness, but the resounding one was that of admiration and appreciation towards the woman behind the voice. This biopic is a definite must-see!

Makes sure to save all your love for this one… <3

Sophie Bryer

Nottingham '23

Hiya, I’m Soph! I am a third year English BA student (wooo!) This will be my second year writing for HC and I am proud to be apart of such a positive community of female writers voicing topics that matters to them. As well as being a writer for HC I am also apart of the executive team this year! I enjoy writing about the world around me, my experiences, my interests and my advice. Particular women and working-class issues. Hopefully what I write about is relatable, original and interesting… enjoy :)