Fashion Blog: All That Glitters

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

In case you haven’t noticed, it’s coming up to Christmas – John Lewis have released their season’s greetings in the form of another cutesy commercial, and we’ve all seen those Facebook statuses claiming that it’s Christmas now because the Coca-Cola advert’s been on television.

As always, Christmas is about tinsel, glitter and sparkles, and these are attributes that are not necessarily reserved for just the tree. Sequins are back in style, and of course it’s always appropriate to wear that obligatory sequin dress for your Christmas party. Here are some ways to make sequins suitable for casual day to day wear without looking like a total bauble.

Sequin Skirt

Sequin skirts are a must because they are fairly versatile and can be dressed from day to night. This mini skirt from Boohoo can be made casual by wearing a plain white vest and a soft jumper that will also keep you warm, particularly in the cold Nottingham winters. Switch this for a plain black blazer and you’re effortlessly cool for a night out.

Sequin Blazer

Worn by style icons such as Olivia Palermo, a sequin blazer adds some sparkle to even the most rundown of outfits. Whilst sequin blazers do make some of the plainest ensembles beautiful, there are some things they don’t work with, such as patterned leggings or ripped jeans; if you want to pull off a sequin blazer, it’s best to keep your outfit simple and leave your blazer to be your statement piece. You can grab a bargain from ASOS during their sale if you’re quick – these blazers are only £26. Alternatively, you can always shop around on eBay and may be lucky enough to pick up a bargain.

Sequin Jumpers

Christmas wouldn’t be Christmas without your standard festive jumper! There are many comfortable glitzy knits that can keep you warm through the rest of the winter months. If you want to be in keeping with the Christmas theme, try this jumper from New Look. The sequin details are subtle enough to catch your eye without being too garish.
If being understated isn’t for you, your Christmas present to yourself this year should be this sequin present jumper from Topshop – at £50 it’ll set you back a pretty penny, but you’ll look good enough to unwrap.
However, if jumpers aren’t really your thing, then there’s always the trusty cardigan. Don’t be fooled; sequin cardigans are not as dowdy as they sound and much like the sequin blazer can be thrown on with pretty much anything. H&M has this brilliant black sequinned number; complete with shoulder pads and leather trim, pair this with some wet look black leggings and a vest for any evening event – a Christmas meal, perhaps?

Edited by Luisa Parnell

I am a third year (eek!) English student at the University of Nottingham. When I'm not blogging from behind my laptop, you will find me reading, writing and being your general English Lit student.
Sam is a Third Year at the University of Nottingham, England and Campus Correspondent for HC Nottingham. She is studying English and would love a career in journalism or marketing (to name two very broad industries). But for now, her favourite pastimes include nightclubs, ebay, cooking, reading, hunting down new music, watching thought-provoking films, chatting, and attempting to find a sport/workout regime that she enjoys!