Life > Experiences

Fancy A Pint? Some Proper Pubs to Quench Your Thirst

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

Reluctant at first to write a review on my favourite places to grab a drink in Notts, I thought it’s time to stop gatekeeping and share with you some proper pubs that will sling you the best pints in town.

TAP HOUSE (TAPPY) – BYARD LANE

Now if you really want to know where I am, every day after work, I’ll be pouring my own pints at Tappy. The Tap House is a self-service pub in which you pour your own pints! No more standing at the bar waiting for service, you simply get a card, insert on the ale, lager, or cider of choice, and pour. The card tallies up the amount you’ve poured from your drink of choice, similar to having your own personal tab, meaning you can pour and try as little or as many pints as the establishment has to offer. With kegs constantly on rotation, every time you go in there’s a new drink to try. To list a few favourites, there’s Tiny Rebel’s Clwb Tropicana IPA, sour berry beer, rhubarb cider, Fruli, Delirium blonde Belgium beer, and Tap House’s own lager. They also offer top quality wine, specially selected from their sister establishment, Another (their self-service wine bar). The staff are beyond brilliant, welcoming, and helpful, with smiles always spread across their faces. There isn’t a time that I haven’t enjoyed a drink in Tappy, it truly is one of the best spots in town.

ORGAN GRINDER (THE BLUE MONKEY) – THE TOP OF CANNING CIRCUS

I think my heart burst with joy one summer when I walked into Organ Grinder to be met with the beautiful sight of Aspalls. This is one of my go-to cider’s and it’s not often that you see this bad boy on tap, so it very quickly became a regular of mine. I often find most cider’s to be too appley, but this cider is sharp enough and light enough to go down a treat. Even better enjoyed on their suntrap roof terrace, I’ve spent many summer days watching the sun go down and the fairy lights come on. One of the wonderful things about this pub is that it’s got something going on nearly every night. Whether it’s their quiz night on Monday’s, where you can win a £30 bar tab, art exhibitions, DJ nights, football games and more! This place never fails to make me smile and leave me feeling buzzing. Organ Grinder offers Blue Monkey ales, meaning all brewed locally from Nottingham itself! With favourites such as BG Sips and Infinity, you’ll feel even prouder to be drinking your delicious ale knowing it’s been brewed just down the round. The staff are extremely helpful and passionate about the ales they serve, they strive to make sure that your drink is practically match made to your taste.

THE KEAN’S HEAD (CASTLE ROCK BREWERY) – ST MARY’S GATE

If I’m ever feeling homesick, Kean’s Head is the pub that I head on down to. Nothing says a proper pub like the ceilings and walls being plastered in placemats that feature all the ales and lagers served in the past- gone but never forgotten. This is a pub that takes pride of its Nottinghamshire heritage, situated in the historical Lace Market, looking out to the picturesque view of St Mary’s Church. Leading the way for the craft beer scene in Nottingham, the Kean’s Head is home to a ground-breaking stash of weird and wonderful beers from across the world. Today, the pub remains firmly rooted on the map as having one of the city’s most respected beer ranges, as well as an impressive wall displaying their assortment of over 200 rums, gins, and whiskies. And just to top it all off, The Kean’s Head have annihilated the game by having resident kitchen hosts Paajis, arguably one of the best butter chickens I’ve ever had in my life. I mean, can you get a better match made in heaven than curries and pints? This cosy, single-room pub, is a hidden gem that has hosted my family for generations (thanks for the recommendation, Dad), and no matter who I’m with, what I’m eating, or what I’m drinking, I feel proud to be in a pub that is equally as proud to be from Nottingham as I am.

If you ever visit any of these pubs, I hope you enjoy your pints in some of the best atmosphere’s this city has to offer.

Libby Gallacher

Nottingham '23

Hi! My name is Libby and my life is pretty much orientated around food. I'm a 3rd year English student at Uni of Notts. I aim to show you all my favourite spots in Notts for food, drinks, coffee, and more!