This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

British weather has never quite been predictable, and that certainly seems to be more the case recently. Just over a week ago I was having a barbecue in the sun, then a few days later, I watched snowflakes fall from my window. This happened just weeks after a series of storms hit the country. Looking ahead, there have even been talks of an expected heatwave sometime in April.

Weather is seen to provide language for describing emotions, with the pathetic fallacy of stormy clouds implying a tumultuous time ahead. On the other hand, sunshine seems to be synonymous with happiness and positivity. But is this purely just an issue of linguistics, or does weather – in particular the sunlight, actually affect our emotions?

The short answer is yes, it is certainly likely. But the science on it is not completely definitive. A 2005 study found that spending time outdoors in good weather corresponds to more a positive mood and better memory, while decreased exposure to sunlight is associated with distress and a change in mood and cognition. Other studies show sunlight to affect us behaviourally, with people being likely to tip more generously and be more reciprocal to flirting on sunny days.

However, it’s not all sunshine and smiles

Higher temperatures are associated with increased aggression and humidity with lack of concentration. Many even suggest that the link between weather and our emotions is much weaker than we imagine, with a study in 2008 concluding that weather essentially had no mood boosting affect.

However, sunlight has, in other cases, repeatedly been found to brighten our moods. I personally believe sunlight helps cheer up my day. The likely explanation to sunlight increasing happiness is down to the vitamin D we gain from it. Vitamin D promotes the production of serotonin, a brain chemical that is responsible for regulating mood. Low levels of vitamin D and serotonin are associated with a higher risk of depression.

It is not just depression that is seen to relate to sunlight levels, but Seasonal Affective Disorder, also known as SAD, which is particularly relevant. This is a type of disorder that causes negative changes in mood in relation to the change in seasons. It is most common for people with SAD to experience such instances of depression in the autumn and winter period. However, it is possible for people with SAD to also experience depressive episodes during summer. Up to 3% of the population is diagnosed with SAD, making it relatively rare, but the National Institute of Mental Health believes that this disorder may actually be more common in milder forms.

Not only is Seasonal Affective Disorder linked to reduced levels of serotonin (which can be caused by low levels of sunlight) but also as a result of a person’s circadian rhythm. In other words, a person with SAD may have a disrupted body clock, and this disruption may be caused by reduced sunlight throughout the winter periods.

Subsequently, there is certainly some truth to what we call the ‘winter blues’. Of course, it must also be acknowledged that disorders like SAD are much more severe that just ‘blues’. Ultimately, the weather seems to affect us all to different extents. Though, knowing British weather, I don’t know when the sun and warmth will come again, but I do know that I’ll be looking forward to it.

If you have been affected by any of the issues raised in this article, here are a few useful links that offer advice and support:

Mind – https://www.mind.org.uk/information-support/types-of-mental-health-problems/seasonal-affective-disorder-sad/causes/

NHS – https://www.nhs.uk/mental-health/conditions/seasonal-affective-disorder-sad/overview/

Samaritans https://www.samaritans.org

Georgia Fenton

Nottingham '23

Blogger for Her Campus Nottingham. 3rd Year History & Politics Student.