This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

Every year when the festive period rolls around, it is easy to get wrapped up in overindulgence, writing huge, materialistic Christmas lists, and going above and beyond to get your loved ones the most lavish gifts possible. Although it is always nice to receive presents (and, if you are like me, enjoy buying them for others) it is sometimes hard to take a step back and reflect upon how lucky you are to be able to give and receive gifts.

This year more than ever, the reality is that for so many families across the country, Christmas is just not feasible this year. The cost-of-living crisis has crippled many these last few months, and its reign of terror is showing no signs of slowing down. The sad truth is that thousands of children will wake up on Christmas morning without a visit from Santa.

Producer Sam Teale released a video on YouTube at the beginning of December, which perfectly captures the lived reality for so many people in the UK this Christmas. The heart-breaking scene of a young boy replying to the question ‘What are you getting for Christmas this year?’ with “Santa’s poorly this year”, is certainly enough to make anyone emotional. The short video ends with the boy being gifted a handmade go-kart, made by his father, with the words ‘Christmas is made, not given’, flashing across the screen. I think that this is something everyone should be urged to think about this festive season; Christmas is made special by the people you spend it with and the memories you make. It is unlikely that in 5 years’ time that you will remember what gifts you were given at Christmas, but the laughs you had and the moments you shared with your friends and family will last a lifetime.

However, after watching the ‘Alternative John Lewis Advert’, I felt compelled to ensure that at least one child, who may not otherwise receive a present, wakes up to a gift this Christmas. Giving Trees are an amazing way to bring a bit of Christmas magic to an underprivileged child- they can often be found set up in shopping centres, or can be completed through online charities, a few of which I have linked below. I found it really special going out into town and picking out a few toys for a child, knowing that it will make their Christmas, and provide them with some happiness that they truly deserve.

Alternative John Lewis Advert: The GoKart- Sam Teale Productions https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_KjgSyGhzQ

Donate a toy or a day out to a child: https://www.kidsout.org.uk/how-companies-can-help/giving-tree/

Donate a gift to a child who otherwise would not get a Christmas present: https://www.instantneighbour.co.uk/the-giving-tree/

Tamsin Draper

Nottingham '23

Having completed an undergrad degree in History and Politics at Nottingham, I have now moved onto studying MSc Environmental Leadership and Management. I am a lover of all things green and sustainable, travelling, concerts, and good coffee!