Up-cycling: From Broke to Bespoke

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

So what is Upcyling?

Upcycling is converting old or discarded materials into something useful and beautiful. What’s old is new again, but with a twist! It gives the opportunity for you to transform an item into one with a better purpose. As part of everyday life, many people in developing countries rely on the renovation of scrap goods to survive. Raw materials are expensive so people use what they can find to create bowls, baskets, jewellery and everyday goods.

Upcycling is not a new concept. Some of the best examples of modern-day upcycling originate from the 1930s/40s when families had very little economic or material resources. In this age of thrift, they reused almost everything, repurposing items continuously until they were no longer useful. Scrap material became dresses and old doors became the new dining room table! Thrift has recently re-emerged as a trend. Some enjoy the artistic aesthetic of vintage items, with lots of upcycled items often rivalling those found on the high street. Main reasons surrounding the rebirth of upcycling are its positive impact on the environment and perhaps the current economic state resulting in demand for alternative cheap, quality goods. Items destined for the dump are now rescued and remade into something useful. It’s plain and simple, upcycling makes a positive impact on the environment. When you upcycle, you remove items from the global stream of garbage. Upcycling instead of recycling is good too; recycling requires energy or water to break down materials, whereas renovating only requires energy and some creativity!

Stretching your student budget is, perhaps, easier when you’re in a student orientated city such as Nottingham with its £1 bus fares and cheap nights out, but obviously as a student it can be difficult to create a budget that you stick to. This is where recycling becomes so important.

What Can I Upcycle?

Just about anything: wine bottles, clothes, beer cans, newspapers, milk cartons, tires, suitcases, jeans, you name it. If you no longer have a use for it, upcycle it! We’ve put together some creative up-cycling and general reusing tips and tricks to help your budget, and of course help the environment.

Charity shop challenge

Running low on going-out clothes? Try the charity shop challenge, a fancy dress theme where you and your friends have to buy your entire outfit from a charity shop! This can result in some ravishing, eccentric outfits and can be a lot of fun!

Other uses for bottle tops

Bottle tops have no home in your clear recycling bags. So an interesting idea is to carefully cut to create secure bag seals!

Toilet roll storage

Toilet roll middles are easily recyclable, but are also incredibly useful for storage and crafts.

Upcycling clothing

Old clothing can be reused as so many different things such as headbands, bags and, if you’re feeling optimistic, use your sewing skills to create pillows, cushions and even patchwork duvets from old clothing fabric.

Charity

Charity shops can be a fantastic way of gaining new, fashionable clothing for cheap. Nottingham is home to a vast range of charity shops. What was once old can be renovated into something new. For example, denim jackets regularly come in and out of fashion and can be used or customised to suit your needs.

Recycling vs. Upcycling

Recycling takes consumer materials — mostly plastic, paper, metal and glass — and breaks them down so their base materials can be remade into a new consumer product, often of lesser quality.

When you upcycle an item, you aren’t breaking down the materials. You may be refashioning it — like cutting a t-shirt into strips of yarn — but it’s still made of the same materials as when you started. Also, the upcycled item is typically better or the same quality as the original.

Unravelling a wire clothes hanger to break into your car to rescue your keys = not upcycling.

Stretching out a wire clothes hanger then tying strips of a plastic bag around it to make a wreath = upcycling!

Get Started Today

There are several ways to support the upcycling movement. Supporting your local charity/vintage/antiques stores can unveil some real gems. Sort through your closets or recycling bin and create items yourself or purchase ready-made items from upcycled materials. Both make a positive impact on the environment, and both reward you with something beautiful or useful.

Have you upcycled an item? If so we would love to hear from you in the comments box below or share a photo of your creations via Twitter, using hashtags #hercampusthrift

Edited by Amelia Bauer

Sources:

http://www.love.lambeth.gov.uk/upcycling-2014/

http://hipcycle.com/what-is-upcycling#sthash.Kq6pvNTw.dpuf

http://twistedsifter.com/2012/06/creative-ways-to-repurpose-reuse-and-upcycle-old-things/

Image Sources:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-xLuwL8IGcyY/USIolZ5Kv8I/AAAAAAAACV8/l0Ds9gmbgOY/s640/8.jpg

First year International Media and Communications student at the University of Nottingham and Features writer for Her Campus! 
Harriet Dunlea is Campus Correspondent and Co-Editor in Chief of Her Campus Nottingham. She is a final year English student at the University of Nottingham. Her passion for student journalism derives from her too-nosey-for-her-own-good nature.