Comfort Shows to Keep You Warm This Winter

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

In need of some cosy, comforting vibes to welcome in the new year? You’ve come to the right place…

The Office (US)

This show is at the top of many people’s comfort show lists for a reason. The connections that you develop with the characters across the 9 seasons means that (as cliché as it sounds), the world of Dunder Mifflin really does feel like a second home. There are terrible jokes from boss Michael Scott, a whole array of hilarious and loveable characters, not to mention the iconic will they/won’t they dynamic between Jim and Pam. This is still my go-to show if I’m having a bad day.

The US version has just been added to Netflix at the time of writing, so if you haven’t seen it already, this is a perfect place to start!

Parks and Recreation

From the same writers as The Office (Greg Daniels and Michael Schur), it’s no surprise that their second creation makes it onto the list. Parks and Rec is filmed in a similar mockumentary format and follows the adventures of Leslie Knope (Amy Poehler) and her department colleagues as they navigate the world of local government. I have to confess that I am only on season 4 of 7, and so haven’t finished yet (no spoilers please!), but I am loving it so much that I couldn’t resist adding it to the list.

Once again, the mix of dysfunctional characters makes this so fun to watch (Ron Swanson is a personal favourite), and I would argue it’s more overtly wholesome than The Office, giving it a real feel-good factor. But one tip I would give – stick with it! The first season is the weakest, but don’t be deterred. Once it finds its feet, it’s well worth it.

Michael Scott You Complete Me gif
Giphy

Fleabag (especially Season 2!)

Now, this one could be considered a bit of a wild card! Right from the beginning, this show deals with some very heavy themes so may not be everyone’s cup of tea. So, how on Earth does it qualify as a comfort show? 

Because Phoebe Waller-Bridge is a genius, basically. I was a fan of Fleabag from the first series, but nothing could have prepared me for how she would develop the storyline in 2019’s second season. Loveably flawed protagonist Fleabag finds herself potentially drawn to the world of religion, whilst also ending up being punched in the face in a restaurant, confronting a hairdresser and falling in love with a priest. Every time I watch it, I laugh, cry and mostly marvel over how incredible the writing is. The ending is perhaps my favourite ending to a TV show, and still makes me feel all the feelings even now. If the first series isn’t for you, I urge you to give series 2 a go, and hopefully fall in love like I did.

Plus, it has Andrew Scott as a hot priest, so what more do you need?

The IT Crowd

For me, the early 2000s British comedy era will always have a place in my heart. Whether it’s Peep Show, Thick of It or something more obscure like Spaced, there are some amazing TV shows worth catching up on if you haven’t already! Personally though, nothing feels as homely as the cluttered, isolated basement that Moss, Roy and Jen call the IT department, and the embarrassing and hilarious situations that they end up in. There are only 4 short series of the show, (all available on Netflix), and I find it so comforting to dip into a familiar world where I know the characters so well. Also, bonus points for Noel Fielding as a (semi) vampire.

Hopefully you’re encouraged to give some of these a go and enjoy the process of discovering new things that bring you comfort in these challenging times. Happy watching!

Lottie Cox

Nottingham '21

Hi, I'm a final year English with Creative Writing student. I'm a lover of movie nights, my dog and a good cup of tea!