Club Music: You Love to Hate It!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

Diving into the unknown, I have witnessed the horror of club music. It’s loud, obnoxious and repetitive. Must we really listen to this same beat all night long and wait ages before a song you love comes on?

It helps to like the songs which are repeated throughout the night, such as Pharrell Williams’ ‘Happy’, or The Killers’ ‘Mr Brightside’, seeing as 4 chords is a luxury for any club anthem. Seriously, how do people listen to these songs casually?! I mean, even Bob the Builder once came on!

Perhaps to really appreciate this type of music, one must be drunk and unaware of the ear damage which will last for the next 12 hours, although, it’s probably not best to advertise that intoxication is the only way to make it through a club night.

Is it not just a big ordeal to dress up, go to a dark room where no one can see your outfit (take photos for social media) and then strip back down when the Baywatch theme song comes on. And, to touch on an entirely different topic: no, I do not want to be grinded on. Should this really be something that’s encouraged? The ethics that are attached to club music make out that anything is acceptable. 

Remixes really do just ruin songs. Taylor Swift’s ‘Shake It Off’ sounds like it’s a chipmunk in clubs. Either it’s a remix on the soundboard or distorted by the sheer volume of the towering speakers.

So, why do students still go to clubs, when the next day they are deafened for that 9am lecture and too tired from dancing to even walk up all flights of stairs?

Because it sounds good in a club, compared to flatmates playing it all day down the corridor! The atmosphere is electric and it’s a great way to blow off steam with friends! It works best when it’s not taken seriously – dance around, go crazy, see where the night takes you.

The dancing associated with club music is also great because it not only burns calories from all pre-drinks, but is silly and fun. Thinking about it now, all we do is jump around in a dark room with lots of people around us when the beat drops and rub up against each other. The concept is actually rather frivolous.

But why not? Go out, have fun! Make an evening what you want it to be through intoxication and heavy beats- it’s unlikely to be remembered anyway…

Sources:

http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/500x/51384510.jpg

http://weknowmemes.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/i-dont-always-go-to-the-club-to-get-ladies.jpg

Edited by Amelia Bauer-Madden

Sam is a Third Year at the University of Nottingham, England and Campus Correspondent for HC Nottingham. She is studying English and would love a career in journalism or marketing (to name two very broad industries). But for now, her favourite pastimes include nightclubs, ebay, cooking, reading, hunting down new music, watching thought-provoking films, chatting, and attempting to find a sport/workout regime that she enjoys!