This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

Budapest combines the charm of archaic Hungarian architecture with the sleek nightlife and bar culture of the uber cool Modernistas in a way that only the passing of time can. The path of the Danube River carves out an ideal route to visit turreted fairytale buildings, as its surface reflects the majestic clouds in the summer sky above. Following the essence of paprika will escort you down delicately paved passages to an epicenter for the Goulash lover, whilst climbing to the peak of the Fisherman’s Bastion unveils a vista worthy of the gods and the lucky few wayfarers who stop at this enchanting city. 

When To Visit

Budapest is the perfect place for lovers of hot and cold weather as, in midsummer, Hungary sees temperatures in the 20s whilst sub-zero figures aren’t unusual in the depths of December.   The city’s most central thermals springs, the Széchenyi and Gellért Baths, provide the perfect place to relax whilst boosting your immunity and relieving anxiety. A quick dip also provides a much-needed respite from the bitter cold air if winter isn’t really your thing. The Széchenyi Thermal Bath is open from 6am-10pm, whilst the Gellért Thermal Bath opens from 6am-8pm. Both are open daily.

Alternatively, a hop across to Margaret Island, a landscaped park floating in the river, goes hand in hand with a hot summer’s day as its musical fountains magically dance late into the night.

Where to Visit

If the history buff within you refuses to visit a new city without uncovering its past, it is essential that you visit the spectacular Parliament building. The structure is embellished with half a million precious stones and 40kg of gold, earning it the perfect riverside spot to showcase its glory to all who pass through the capital. Since 1904, this centerpiece has stood ceremoniously, enduring two world wars as well as many other historic moments from the past century, making it a must-visit for any aficionados of yesteryear.

A short way down the river, on the opposite bank, stands Buda Castle, a place where the pavements are practically paved with history books and the bricks are cemented by the secrets of sovereignty. Built by King Béla IV in 1247, the fortress has withstood countless battles and sieges, as well as witnessing the unification of Buda and Pest which forged the modern-day metropolis of Budapest.

If living in the moment is more your style, Buda Castle Hill’s Funicular Railway, the second of its kind ever built, provides a quirky combination of stylish travel and spectacular sightseeing as each of the cities’ most famous symbols are revealed on ascent.

Budapest also boasts a vibrant cluster of ‘Ruin Pubs’, aptly named due to their establishment in ramshackle buildings, which have secured hipster hotspot status over recent years thanks to their bohemian-esque activities and entertainment. One of the most famous pubs, Szimpla, organises live music daily, holds farmers markets on Sundays and even welcomes children after its recent addition of a dedicated play corner. Opening times vary from pub to pub but most are open every day.The Basics

• Currency: Hungarian Forints  
  • Dial Code: +36
  • Time difference: +1 hour 
  • Flight time: London to Budapest takes around two hours and 20 minutes 
  • Language: Hungarian is spoken by 98.9% of the population

Image credits 1 2 3