Christmas Gift Guide: Broke Student Edition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

Thankfully, this week Georgia helps us all out by sharing her favourite places to shop for Christmas gifting, even catering for those of us who may have spent a little too much of their student loan this term…

Christmas is slowly creeping up on us as we enter the depths of winter. Personally, I think it’s double the joy and festivities this year. Christmas markets have blown off the cobwebs, opening their doors after a covid hiatus. No more sitting in front of a computer, trying to figure out how zoom works for an online Christmas party. We can leave our houses and look for presents, rather than hoping it’ll look good after trawling online for hours. Gift giving is one of my favourite Christmas activities, however, as a student, getting something for my family, boyfriend and friends proves challenging each year. I feel that I’ve perfected the art of getting the best gifts within a reasonable budget.

Here is my guide that won’t break the bank:

Etsy is my go-to for Christmas presents. Not only is it a marketplace that supports small brands, but the items are also unique and sold at such a reasonable price. Around the festive season, there are additional discounts that make it even more cost-effective:

1. Zodiac necklaces: if your gift – receiver is a fellow astrology lover, then these are perfect. I love the old English font and paired with a little gold chain, you can let everyone know what sign you are! The best priced ones are sold on ‘Positive Metals’ at a current £14.70. I chose these ones because the gold is 18k plated and non-tarnish – so long lasting and adorable. 
  2. Beaded necklaces: beaded necklaces have circled back around in the fashion loop, becoming a nostalgic fave in 2020. ‘JewelleryByFerns’ combines rainbow beads with your name, making the cutest combo to wear every day. I love these because they never tarnish and look good with every outfit. Get them for a fair price of £7. 
  3. Torso candles: touching on a bit of interior design, ‘Palomascandles’ sell a trio of funky candles for £13.50, which include the infamous curvy body candle, a bubble candle and a rope one. They’re the perfect addition to add a bit of pizzaz to your uni room and even better – you can customise the colour and scent to match your home décor.

Depop is also a great alterative if you don’t want to spend too much money. Whilst launching as an app to purchase second-hand items, a lot of new brands have pitched their tent within the app. I think Depop is great if you want to stand out a bit with your style, as there are lots of vintage, pre-loved items that are usually one of a kind. 

1. Prints: prints to spice up your uni wall make such cute present ideas! I’ve found loads on depop, but my favourite site is @printzandthingz. They sell lots of y2k, graphic designs such as Betty Boop, Playboy and Vogue covers. I have a couple in my room and with a cheap white frame from B&M it adds a bit of colour to my (moudling) uni walls, all for a fiver! 
  2. Bags: @MichellesMix on depop sell an array of baguette bags for prices as low as £6.00. There are lots of colours and styles on offer, but my favourite is the fluffy leopard print one, as its spacious and on trend! I already own one of these and I pair it with so many of my outfits. 
  3. Rings: up next is my favourite depop shop, @hanelijewellery. They sell gold roman numeral rings that are non-tarnish and stainless steel. I love these because they look expensive and come in a cute little organza pouch – perfect for a christmas gift! They retail at £7.50. Alternatively, @10a is a men’s jewellery store that sell waterproof, silver band rings for a mere £7.00!
  4. Clothes: it is so hard to find clothes at a reasonable price on depop anymore. Luckily, I did all the searching, so you don’t have to. @Sellcules do the best vintage jumpers for a such a good price. I got a vintage Cleveland Browns sweatshirt for only £15, and it was in amazing condition. So, if you want to splash out a little more, definitely check out their store for some good deals. 

ASOS is also my go to for christmas presents, considering there is always discounts around christmas time. Plus, with UniDays you can save 10%!

1. Dickie’s beanie: dickies is such a cool brand and the Gibsland beanie in black currently retails at £11.40. With temperatures plummeting, beanies are a must have when going to the christmas markets this year.
  2. Water bottle: the gym shark water bottle makes a great christmas gift. On the pricier side of £20, the insulated flask serves a dual function to store either hot or cold drinks. They come in a range of colours and are so versatile. 
  3. Skin care: the barber pro – hydrating hyaluronic acid serves as a face serum for men. If your gift receiver wants to try a new skin remedy and fancies some self – care, this is an affordable answer, because it retails at £9.60 on ASOS!

That wraps up my top picks for an affordable christmas that pleases everyone. Happy shopping!

Georgia Hulme

Nottingham '22

Hi I’m Georgia and I’m in my final year studying English at the University of Nottingham! In my spare time I enjoy walking my dog and anything fashion related :)