Christmas Film Review: The Modern Remake of The Grinch

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

Spoiler Alert!

The Grinch is a true Christmas classic. There’s nothing better than curling up on the sofa to watch the mean but still loveable green monster ruin the Who’s Christmas on a cold December evening. The latest version of Dr. Seuss’ classic is the third rendition of the story, and this time they’ve replaced Jim Carrey with an animated character voiced by the wonderful Benedict Cumberbatch. I went to see the recreation of the story of our favourite green meanie this week, and here’s what I thought of it…

Created by the same filmmakers as Minions, naturally this film wasn’t going to present the Grinch in quite such a sinister way as previous versions. A more lighthearted approach is taken to depict his character, which is great for younger viewers, but for the likes of me who grew up with Jim Carrey as the Grinch, it left me feeling a little underwhelmed. The Grinch is great because you love to hate him, not because you can see that really he’s a good person (or green hairy monster). Throughout the film, it seems as though the Grinch’s meanness is an image he wants to portray, rather than who he actually is. You’re never properly convinced of his sinister character, which makes it a little lukewarm.

Regardless of the characters being a little tamer than I’d like, the narrative itself it’s a really lovely story. Cindy-Lou Who is a very sweet character that epitomises everything that a Christmas film should be about. Her mum is a struggling single parent and all she wants to do is make her life a little easier, which is adorable. It also is good at demonstrating to children that Christmas doesn’t have to be all about presents and being spoiled, and actually, it can be about being generous and telling people how much you love them. How sweet.

Overall, as a 20 year old ho was first introduced to the grinch as the ultra-mean, Christmas hating character, this new version is below par. That being said, for a younger audience, the film is great and has a great moral element. Either way, it is a tender Christmas tale that makes you feel super Christmassy. I’d still recommend going to see it!

Rating: 3.5/5 Christmassyness: 6/5

Siobhan Fitzsimons

Nottingham '19

Hey! I'm Siobhan, and I'm a History student in my final year. I'm a lover of all things food, fashion, and travel. Expect much appreciation of denim dungarees and an awful lot of rambling about university life!