victorious christmas?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
victorious christmas?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Nickolodeon / Netflix

Christmas Episodes You NEED To Watch to Get Through A Dull December

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

When the only present in sight is the generous gift of deadlines and coursework piling up from our lecturers, and Elvis Presley’s Blue Christmas seems more prominent than ever with the UK holding off on turning their heating on, December is not supplying the festive cheer we all expected.

With the countdown to Christmas well under way, it’s time to rewatch the best Christmas episodes of some of your favourite TV shows! What better way to conquer the winter blues than a warm drink and a Christmas special from one of these beloved shows?

Starting off strong, The Office Christmas episodes tend to be the most memorable from the series. For me, the early seasons of The Office capture the witty, cynical, and downright bizarre comedic value that has helped the show become so loved. Season 2 Episode 10, ‘Christmas Party’, encapsulates this completely, documenting a gift swap between the Dundler Mifflin employees. In true Michael Scott fashion, our favourite regional manager is determined to throw the best Christmas party ever and uses a bonus to splurge on an iPod as a secret Santa gift for Ryan. After receiving his own gift, Michael insists on turning the occasion into a White Elephant gift exchange, where the employees battle it out for the present they want the most. The episode lays the groundworks for many of the later Christmas episodes including recurring tropes that never fail to make you laugh; a peculiar gift exchange, an employee having one drink too many, the Party Planning committee putting more effort into the party than any of the sales at the office, and Michael throwing a tantrum when things don’t go his own way. Definitely a great episode to watch if you want a good laugh!

Friends will never fail to brighten my spirits and put me in a good mood. Despite being known for their Thanksgiving episodes showing Monica and Ross’ iconic sibling rivalry, I still believe that their Christmas episodes also bring that feel- good energy! ‘The One With The Holiday Armadillo’ would have to be my favourite, as Ross and Chandlers mishap when trying to give Ben a fun filled Christmas provides the laughs. When the only costume left in the shop is an Armadillo, Ross uses it to try and teach Ben that Hannukah is just as important as Christmas. After all, who needs ‘Father Christmas’ when the ‘Holiday Armadillo’ exists.

When narrowing down this list with my housemates, they all groaned when I brought up this next suggestion so beware- it’s clearly not everybody’s choice of festive fun. However, Glee is one of my favourite comfort TV shows, especially when looking to their Christmas episodes for camp carols and December drama. With many episodes to choose from, I came to the conclusion that ‘A Very Glee Christmas’ had to be top of the list. The episode brought THE BEST duet between Kurt and Blaine with ‘Baby It’s Cold Outside’, foreshadowing their budding romance! Also, this episode includes the reveal of the dramatic breakup between Finn and Rachel, promising both beautifully performed Christmas songs to really get you in the festive mood, and lots of messy drama that will really entertain.

I always associate Doctor Who with the Christmas period as the festive episodes of the series are always a big event in my household. The‘A Christmas Carol’ episode takes a well-known story and frames it through a completely different lens. Scrooge is replaced by a wealthy loan shark that takes his customers’ living family members as collateral, locking them in a frozen vault. The doctor and his companions must embody the three ghosts of Christmas past, present and future to try and soften his heart. As many of the Doctor Who Christmasepisodes deal with serious and harsh themes, I thought that this episode would be a more lighthearted option, whilst still encompassing all the themes that the original Dickens story intended.

A new TV recommendation from my dad, the show Cheers is the definition of a feel-good show. Possibly not as well known to the contemporary audience, the sitcom style of Cheers would be a good option for those who are looking for an alternative to the likes of Friends or How I Met Your Mother.  Another dysfunctional gift exchange brings the Christmas spirit to the forefront of the episode ‘Christmas Cheers’. Frasier’s drunken viewing of Father Christmas causes him to believe in his existence. This results in him expressing his joy in the form of singing Christmas Carols on the bars piano, leading to a very festive and cheerful episode that is sure to put you in a Christmassy mood!

Roisin Teeling

Nottingham '23

I am a third year English student at UoN who loves reading the different articles Her Campus has to offer! I am happy to be part of a network of women who support and empower each other through our writing.