Chloe Scott-Mearns – Sports Officer Candidate 2014

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

20 year old, third-year Biology student, Chloe Scott-Mearns who comes from the true capital of England – Leeds. Her Campus Nottingham caught up with her as she puts her case forward for becoming the new Sports Officer for the University of Nottingham. Chloe is a self-confessed sports fanatic and has played football from a very young age, from the modest but fantastic Parkwood Garden’s Cul-de-sac, to the fabled grounds of Nottingham. A character whose enthusiasm is apparent from the outset, Chloe has also been involved with the university consistently throughout her degree, including being a ‘Week One rep’ for Broadgate Park. This energetic and passionate Yorkshire lass is now looking to take things that step further!

So, why are you putting yourself forward for the role of Sports Officer?

Well with me having a big interest in sport, being the Uni’s Sports Officer and everything it entails is something which is close to my heart and I know the role well from speaking a lot with the current officer Tom Hicks. Also, football has become a vital part of my university experience and I’m looking to promote this to prospective students and those who may not have explored those avenues within the uni before.

And how do you feel you’re suited for this role?

I would like to consider myself as a people person -the sort who anyone could feel they could approach which is something which would be key within such a role. But it’s also sometimes about the less serious side of things and I like to mix an enthusiastic but laid-back persona which allows me to come across as a friendly individual.

What are the key points to your campaign?

Primarily I’d like to increase transparency and communication between the officer and students. I’d also like to introduce academic provisions for those who have to miss lectures/seminars for their sport’s activities, for example when I’ve had to miss hours of university time to attend away matches. It’s simply a question of recording more lectures and making them more accessible; you shouldn’t have to choose between your academic commitments and representing the university’s sports teams.

Student networking is something I would love to push forward as well, in terms of helping to show potential Nottingham applicants why it is such a great uni and how sport can form part of this amazing experience. I’d approach something like this by sending out emails to many different sixth forms and colleges across the country. I think another aspect I’d like to emphasise is the integration and interaction between individual sports clubs at the uni. Currently, this is something which is lacking – for example, the women’s football team going to support the men’s during varsity, yet the reverse never happens. Creating a more shared sense of community is something which needs to be addressed I think.

Do you take part in any sports yourself?

Yes, I’ve played for UONWF (University of Nottingham Women’s Football) for all 3 years of my degree and I’m currently playing in net for the firsts! I actually started out playing outfield however I was played in net to fill a void and managed to move up from the thirds to the firsts whilst impressing in this position, so that’s been a blast! I’ve always tried to get myself as involved as possible with the club on an administrative level too and so in second year I was the Social Sec and then this year I’ve moved to become the Development Sec (charity based role).

Finally, describe yourself in five words which you think illustrate why you are worthy of this position as Sports Officer

Enthusiastic, committed, motivated, unabashed and helpful!

If you’d like to support Chloe or just find out more information, then visit her campaign page here, or have a look at her manifesto.

Don’t forget to vote from the 6th March!

Edited by Sheetal Mistry

Bradley Deas

Nottingham

Sheetal studied History at the University of Nottingham and was Campus Correspondent during her final year, before graduating in July 2014. She is currently jumping between jobs, whilst still writing for HC in her spare time. She may or may not be some of these things: foodie, book addict, world traveller (crazy dreamer!), lover of cheese, Australian immigrant, self-proclaimed photographer, wannabe dancer, tree hugger, lipstick ruiner, curly-haired and curious. She hopes for world peace and dreams that someday, cake will not make you fat.