This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

Soundtracks are often under appreciated. But whether they’re from a scene in a film or the intro to a cartoon they are often widely known. In particular, He-Man and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles have lived on to be recognized by everyone from all generations. Cheesy tracks such as this always make an appearance when someone gains control of YouTube and are then sung to religiously.

Disney soundtracks are also very popular. There are people out there whose music library is filled with them! And why? Because they’re upbeat and nostalgic. YouTube is bombarded with uploaded covers and parodies of everything from Fantasia to ‘Let it Go’. They can be appreciated by all which is why soundtracks have such an impact on all ages.

Instrumental cover versions can really take you back to the originality of the music, where lyrics aren’t needed to understand or draw connotations to it. Catchy tracks can spark memories you don’t even remember having. For me, my favourite soundtrack has to be Amélie. It draws me back to watching it at Christmas, snuggled up on the sofa, now a tradition in my home.

Immense soundtracks have made top movie franchises what they are, the obvious two being Star Wars and Lord of the Rings. To be able to identify a film from just its soundtrack shows how strong and deep emotional attachments to a song can lie. Instrumental versions can appear more hard-hitting as there are no lyrics to detract from the highs and lows of the music. It begs comparison to ballet, where the movement to the music is what creates a storyline, not necessarily just speaking with words.

In a revision aspect, listening to a soundtrack can be both relaxing and soothing. I’ve heard from many others that having a soundtrack to listen to whilst revising can help structure time, but doesn’t distract with lyrics to sing along to, instead providing a peaceful background noise. Almost everyone I have asked either listen to soundtracks whilst revising or nothing at all, because it’s far too easy to fall into the habit of listening to your favourite song and remembering all the words, as opposed to concentrating on your work!

If you’re in need of some musical therapy to help with that long essay or even just for a contented mood, here are my top 5 recommendations:

1.      Craig Armstrong – Balcony Scene

2.      Stardust – Shooting Star

3.      Bunny and The Bull – Opening Theme

4.      Alien – Theme Song

5.      The Great Gatsby Soundtrack

References

http://i.imgur.com/4Yd3khU.gif

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-TrJRl5cCKEk/UPcxMyBDVGI/AAAAAAAAGDs/2IJFPiuEv_M/s1600/tumblr_lzz1si1YWG1qlz6q1o1_400.jpg

Edited by Sam Carey

Sam is a Third Year at the University of Nottingham, England and Campus Correspondent for HC Nottingham. She is studying English and would love a career in journalism or marketing (to name two very broad industries). But for now, her favourite pastimes include nightclubs, ebay, cooking, reading, hunting down new music, watching thought-provoking films, chatting, and attempting to find a sport/workout regime that she enjoys!