Campus Style: Power of the Plain Tee!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

Name: Jess Bowell

Year: 4

Degree: English and Spanish

Her Campus loves: After watching Her Campus’ brilliant YouTube video about the power of The Plain Tee, Jess’ outfit really caught my eye.

Jess paired an oversized plain grey t-shirt with a staple pair of skinny black jeans. After speaking to her, I learnt that the t-shirt was actually from Topman – if you can’t find something you like in regular high street haunts like Topshop or H+M, never rule out shopping in men’s clothes shops for an authentic over-sized shirt! Jess’ cropped skinny jeans are from Topshop – they were blue when she first bought them but she decided to dye them black as she preferred them to be slightly darker. You can’t even tell she’s dyed them herself; she’s done such a good job with them. I’d only recommend clothes dying for the more experienced out there though (speaking from experience here…I have a pair of gone-wrong bright pink denim shorts at home which are now collecting dust).

Even though the sun’s creeping out every now and then in Notts at the moment, there’s a definite chill in the air. So Jess’ baseball jacket is the perfect overcoat for the weather right now – nowhere near as thick as a parka but still more substantial than a shirt or kimono. Hers is from H+M if you want to steal it, although there are plenty out there in almost every high-street shop. The baseball jacket has fast become a staple for every girl’s wardrobe; Jess’ in black and white is perfect to match almost every outfit.

Shoes and accessories-wise, Jess is on POINT. I adore her blue, orange and grey Nikes, which, paired with her baseball jacket, give off a slight sporty vibe (also practical for those feet tackling Portland Hill). The blue on her Nikes also match her blue nail varnish perfectly – I have no idea if this was intentional but it definitely tied her outfit together brilliantly. Jess’ rings are all from Freedom and Topshop, which is a great place to buy various sets of rings – you can get a really good bargain if they’re in the sale too.

Thank you Jess for letting me annoy you in Hallward!

Final year English Language and Literature student. Likes: cheese, the colour black, and bearded men.