Callum Morris – SU Presidential Candidate 2014

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

Today is the turn of Callum Morris, 2nd year History and Politics student from Hemel Hempstead. After changing his course after first year, Callum has been at Nottingham for three years and is ready to make some big changes to the SU!  He spoke to us about his determination to see the much-discussed Lenton Hub actually happen, the reason for those minions, and a true dedication to Ocean Friday…

Tell us what you think the role of President is.

Fundamentally, you’re there to represent and be the voice of 34,000 students. You need to listen to what they want and work out if their suggestions are viable. It involves coming to compromises – getting what students want whilst also complying with University regulations. You’re very much the middle man!

Talk us through the ‘best bits’ of your manifesto!

Increasing printer credits is of big importance to me. I’ve spoken to a lot of students about this and the current system isn’t working. Maths students don’t tend to use all of their credits whereas Arts and Humanities are constantly topping up their cards. They need to be distributed proportionally to where they are needed.

I also want to see the Lenton Hub happen. I know some candidates are opposed to it and others are a bit indifferent, but I think it’ll make a big difference. I don’t want it to be just another Mooch – there are enough places to drink here, and they’re probably cheaper! And I don’t see it as an Internet Café – most people have internet access at home so that isn’t necessary.

It needs to be a practical place where students can use university computers, return library books, print using their printer credits and access administrative facilities. I’m also aware that a lot of students struggle to settle in to 2nd year life when moving to Lenton. So I think the Hub should have a counselling service where students can go to talk to someone about their problems.

Quite a few of your policies are to do with decreasing the financial strain on students (e.g. more printer credits, hidden course costs being made known earlier, subsidised gym membership for students in halls). Do you think the SU still has a long way to go to make university an experience that all students can make the most of regardless of their income?

I think that because of the fee rise, students need to be getting more value for their money. I pay the £3,000 fees, but there is literally no difference between my lectures in first year where everyone was paying the same as me, and my lectures this year where most people pay £9,000. When you’re paying £6,000 more, you should be experiencing something different.

The money issue is more of a problem for Postgrads, however, because they don’t get a student loan. When they’re paying for their course and living costs straight up, something as simple as more printer credits or revealing hidden course costs early on can make a big difference.

I like the idea of the Officer’s drop-in sessions. How will these work?

SU officers need to be more visible – it can be quite intimidating to go to the SU office where there are a load of full-time Officers sat around working. The office hours will work like tutors’ office hours, taking place in the Lenton Hub once that is established and acting as an informal way for students to talk to the Execs. It means more people will come to us to voice their concerns and tell us what they want changed.

Which of your policies do you think will be the hardest to implement and why?

Not necessarily the most difficult, but the one that will take longest is the Lenton Hub. It realistically won’t be in place for a couple of years just because of the logistics of it. It’s hard to ask students to vote for something that they won’t see the benefit of first hand, simply because third-year and most second-year students will have left Uni by then. However it is viable and can be done!

The gym membership subsidies will be difficult. Again, it can be done. I know Leeds offer free membership to their first year students – which tempted me to go there! First year students don’t have the same access to cheaper gyms that second- and third- years do. It’s also unfair that in order to join a sports team you need the Bronze membership at least. I was speaking to a member of the lacrosse team who said she needed to pay for a Bronze membership which she probably used about 7 or 8 times! There are a lot of hidden costs involved with sports at Nottingham and it’s not right that you need to pay these in order to play sport.

Who do you think is your biggest competition?

I’d have to say Harry Copson – he seems to have orange T Shirts everywhere! Most of the people I’ve spoken to have already been approached by Harry, who has made a massive effort to talk to lots of people. I couldn’t really do this until later because I only decided to go for President two or three days before the deadline. It had always been something I wanted to do, but doing work experience in London in the weeks before the deadline confirmed to me that I was ready for a job and I’d be good at this role!

What makes you the right person for the job above the other candidates?

I think the fact that I’m very approachable, which you need to be good at with this job. Students need to feel like they can have an open conversation with their President. I’m also determined and ambitious. At the end of the day, I don’t want to go in to the job and act on my personal opinions – I’m here to represent the students’ opinions and I feel like I can do that well!

How do you feel about having to take a year out of your studies for the job?

I’m looking forward to it! It’ll be a nice change having done three years at Uni already. I’m also in a better position to be campaigning this year rather than next, because I’m in my second year so the workload is less than it will be. I spoke to Amos, last year’s President, and he was saying that taking a year out gave him a much better work ethic for his final year. Obviously, going in to a 9 to 5 job is a big change from having a couple of hours in uni every day!

Tell us about the minions…

There’s not really a message behind it – it’s just a bit of fun! When I was coming up with branding ideas a few of my friends suggested a slogan like ‘Morris’ Minions’ or ‘Despicable Morris’, and then someone offered me a little Minion toy to take out on campaigns. So it sort of just came from that – I nearly went with pink!

QUICKFIRE ROUND:

Ocean – yay or nay? 100% yay. I only missed one last term – the last one with the Hoff! I’d gone to Prague with friends – we didn’t have any internet access so didn’t hear anything about it until we came back the next week and it was all over Facebook.

What did you want to be when you were a kid? A dustbin man! I had a little Playmobile dustbin truck which I loved. My Mum still brings it up to this day…

Marmite – love it or hate it? Hate it.

Personal miracle hangover cure? I wish there was one…if anyone has the answer, let me know! Oh actually, I do have one. I work at a bar back home and went to work one day hanging – my manager made me this drink with the juice of 2 lemons and 2 oranges, honey, salt and sugar. And it worked!

Ew. Was it nice? It tasted a bit like Lucozade sport.

Who/what was your last text from/about? You, telling me where you are!

That’s not very interesting! Callum checks his phone. Ah, it was from a girl in one of my latest minion pictures. My best mate from home left a bit of a cheeky comment on the photo and she was just enquiring who he is!

Snog/marry/avoid…Adele, Jessie J, Joanna Lumley OR Kanye West, Ed Sheeran, Hugh Heffner?

Who’s Joanna Lumley?

That old woman with the posh voice who acts.

Oh yeah, I know who you mean. OK, I’d snog Jessie J, marry Joanna Lumley and avoid Adele. Do you want me to do the guys too?

If you want!

I’d marry Ed Sheeran. Probably have to avoid Kanye, I think he’s a bit of a psycho. So I guess snog Hugh Hefner – it’s got to be done!  

Claim to fame/special talent/fun fact about yourself?

My housemate’s uncle is the guy from Dexys Midnight Runners who sings Come On Eileen!

Anything you’d like to add?

Vote for Callum and you’ll get more of the Morris. He’s one in a Minion! 

VOTING IS NOW OPEN!

Take a look at Calllum’s manifesto and campaign page.

Edited by Harriet Dunlea

Sam is a Third Year at the University of Nottingham, England and Campus Correspondent for HC Nottingham. She is studying English and would love a career in journalism or marketing (to name two very broad industries). But for now, her favourite pastimes include nightclubs, ebay, cooking, reading, hunting down new music, watching thought-provoking films, chatting, and attempting to find a sport/workout regime that she enjoys!