This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

On the 2nd of December some of the fashion industry’s most glamorous people stepped out and attended the British Fashion Awards 2013. The award ceremony has been held since 1989, organised by the British Fashion Council and it celebrates the most talented members in the world of fashion. An array of awards are given out on the night including Womenswear Designer of the Year, International Designer of the Year and Model of the Year. This year the award ceremony was held at the London Coliseum presented by the comedian Jack Whitehall and for the first time members of the public were able to purchase tickets to attend. There were many star-studded guests including Kate Moss, Donatella Versace, Harry  Styles, Miuccia Prada, Gwyneth Paltrow, Suki Waterhouse, Sienna Miller, Rosie Huntington-Whitely, Tinie Tempah, Nick Grimshaw, Rita Ora, Alexa Chung and Marc Jacobs. Who receives the awards is decided by 300 members of the fashion industry including Anna Wintour, Laura Bailey, Poppy Delevingne, Suzy Menkes (editor of International New York Times), Alexandra Shulman (Editor of Vogue UK) and Lorraine Candy (editor of Elle UK). Here is a list of the award winners for 2013:

Womenswear Designer of the Year – Christopher Kane.
Designer Brand of the Year – Burberry.
Menswear Designer of the Year – Christopher Bailey for Burberry.
International Designer of the Year – Miuccia Prada for Prada.
Outstanding Achievement in Fashion – Terry and Tricia Jones.
Special Recognition Awards – Suzy Menkes and Kate Moss. 
Isabella Blow Award for Fashion Creator – Lady Amanda Harlech
Accessory Designer of the Year – Nicholas Kirkwood.
Emerging Womenswear Designer – Simone Rocha.
Emerging Menswear Designer – Agi & Sam
Emerging Accessory Designer – Sophia Webster.
New Establishment Designer of 2013 – J.W Anderson.
Model of the Year – Edie Campbell.
Red Carpet Award – Erdem.
British Style Award – Harry Styles.

One of the most exciting parts of the event was the red carpet before the ceremony. Here are some of the best looks from the red carpet this year:

Rosie Huntington-Whitely stunned in her red Antonio Beradi suit with an added optical illusion and matching bright red lipstick.

Kate Moss, who received a Special Recognition Award, look dazzling in a black leather Marc Jacobs dress and white fur coat.

Rita Ora looked glamorous in this gorgeous old Hollywood style Vivienne Westwood dress and hair to match. 

Alexa Chung impressed in a short white Stella McCartney dress with simple accessories.

[pagebreak]

Sienna Miller looked amazing in her emerald dress pictured with her husband Tom Sturridge, both wearing Burberry – winner of the Designer Brand of the Year and Menswear Designer of the Year awards. 

Fashion Designer Donatella Versace wowed, as always, in a long black sequined dress. 

Laura Bailey looked pretty in pink with this girly Roksanda Ilincic dress. 

Harry Styles, winner of the British Style Award, looked great in an all black Saint Laurent outfit. 

Lily Donaldson looked fantastic in this body hugging Marc Jacobs dress. 

Tinie Tempah looked dapper in Burberry. 

Photo Sources

Vogue, Getty, PA, Mike Marsland

Edited by Ili Mustafa

Sophie is a 4th year student at the University of Nottingham, England. She is studying American Studies and would love a career in Journalism or Public Relations (preferably while living in NYC). Sophie has been a Fashion Blogger at HC Nottingham since she started at the University at Nottingham in 2012/13. She was also a Publicity Intern during her second year at HC Nottingham in 2013/14. She was a Campus Correspondent during her year abroad for HC Albany as well as contributing to writing for HC Nottingham. She is currently the Head of Publicity for Her Campus, as well as continuing to write fashion blogs. She is a self proclaimed fashion and make-up addict and she also enjoys travelling, reading, (excessively) watching TV shows and films, music, shopping and of course writing for Her Campus! 
Sam is a Third Year at the University of Nottingham, England and Campus Correspondent for HC Nottingham. She is studying English and would love a career in journalism or marketing (to name two very broad industries). But for now, her favourite pastimes include nightclubs, ebay, cooking, reading, hunting down new music, watching thought-provoking films, chatting, and attempting to find a sport/workout regime that she enjoys!