A Bright Future for Notts Sporting Stars

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

Have you heard the exciting news about the sports facilities at the University? It has been revealed that a new £40 million sports village is to be developed. This sports village – judging by artist’s impressions will incorporate top class sporting facilities with sleek and modern designs.

On URN last week, Kiri Madhani, Students’ Union Sports Officer, expressed that everyone had struggled to keep it under wraps, stating that it had been “a tough secret for everyone to keep”. Plans have been in the pipeline for a while, but after finally getting the project signed off financially, the go ahead was given to make an announcement and begin the countdown.

This expansion and development project (which will be called the David Ross Sports Village, after alumnus and project supporter David Ross) is set to be three times larger than the current sports facilities on campus, boasting a host of world class/high quality facilities including: an all glass squash show court (as well as 6 glass fronted squash courts), a climbing wall and a new sports hall with seating for fans.

Of course this is not only going to present a host of opportunities for those attending/thinking of attending the University of Nottingham; but also Varsity and BUCS will be enhanced through the new accommodation for fans, allowing them to watch many new and different sports.

This does however mean that during the building of the project, temporary facilities will be made available for anything that is disrupted, with the project expected to be finished by 2016. Obviously, this means that a lot of current students won’t even get chance to experience these wonderful new facilities, but the Uni clearly sees this as a vital part of its growth and development so let’s hope everything stays on course for that 2016 date.

Edited by Georgina Varley

Sources:

http://urn1350.net/blog/41

http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/estates/developments/sportscentre.aspx

Bradley Deas

Nottingham

Harriet Dunlea is Campus Correspondent and Co-Editor in Chief of Her Campus Nottingham. She is a final year English student at the University of Nottingham. Her passion for student journalism derives from her too-nosey-for-her-own-good nature.