bookcase with books
bookcase with books
Nishka Dhawan
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

Bridget is Back.

The Bridget Jones 3 film is currently in the works and has shocking new developments! Helen Fielding’s much loved Bridget will be coming to our screens but not as we expected – Tim Bevan’s script is going to differ from Fielding’s third book ‘Mad About The Boy’ in many ways. We can barely contain our excitement! Renee Zellweger will be returning as Bridget, a 40 year old married woman who is yearning for a child as opposed to the book version – a widow with two young children. This film is going to give Bridget fans a chance to see her married and happy.

Not everyone however is on board with the new film! Bombshell: Hugh Grant is dropping out of Bridget Jones 3! Grant who played bad boy Daniel Cleaver in the first two films, revealed in an interview with Free Radio (Midlands) that “[I] decided not to do it but I think they’re going to go ahead and do it without Daniel. The book’s excellent, by the way, but the script is completely different – well, the script as I last saw it a few years ago.” The 54 year old ‘Music and Lyrics’ star is also starring a new film called ‘The Rewrite’ which looks to be fun, witty and delightful. We’ll miss him in the next Bridget Jones film for sure!

Grant is not wrong about the book being “excellent.” The book ‘Mad About The Boy’ is beloved despite the popular opinion that Fielding shouldn’t have killed off Colin Firth’s character Mark Darcy therefore it is a worry that an entirely new script would be invented. Thankfully Fielding is around throughout the creation of the new script and she’s been there for the filming. This, in a way, is our chance to get the third book we really wanted to read – the one about Bridget and Mark finally riding off into the sunset and getting that happy ending! Goodie!