This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

Dear Edward is one of the best books I have ever read. If you’re stuck in a reading rut, this book will get you out of it and it’s one of the few books that I would re-read.

What’s it about?

Edward Adler is twelve years old, and his family is planning a move across the country. Already faced with losing everything he knows, this gets worse when he is the sole survivor of the plane crash that he, his family and 188 other strangers were on. Edward, the miracle boy becomes the focus of the world with the media, grief-stricken families and everyone in-between asking for peace and answers.

In alternating chapters of the accident and the new life that he has learned to accept, we delve into the personal lives of the people that Edward shared a flight and fleeting moments with.

Dear Edward is one of those books that stays with you, as cliché as that is, and here are my reasons why you should read it.

1. It’s about loss but also the friendship that comes after.

2. You watch Edward heal and grow.

3. You grow with Edward as he comes to term with losing his family and everyone he knew before the accident.

4. Despite how sad the premise of it is, it has a good ending that doesn’t leave you feeling let down or pessimistic about the world.

5. Everything Edward feels makes sense and it reads like a genuine account of a twelve-year-old forced away from everything he knew.

6. It’s not just about Edward. There’s the young pregnant woman, the Wall Street businessman and the injured soldier too.

7. It’s about finding happiness when nothing is going in your favour.

8. You learn what it’s like to be sad about losing people you didn’t even know.

9. It is unforgettable.

10. It’s one of the best books I’ve ever read.

Vicki Mileson

Nottingham '23

20, University of Nottingham. Third year Modern Languages student. Writing about university life, book recommendations and travel.
Vicki Mileson

Nottingham '23

19, UoN Blogger Second Year Modern Languages