Bonfire Night Bites: Cheap and Easy Recipes for a Food-Filled 5th November

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

One of my favourite nights is just around the corner; an evening that sees the night sky lit up in flashes of bright colour and one that hopefully also sees copious amounts of food and drink consumed!

There’s been a longstanding tradition in my family to treat Guy Fawkes Night as an opportunity to indulge in all kinds of sugary treats and hearty food. I’m talking vats upon vats of spicy chilli, cinnamon rice pudding and homemade chocolate fudge cake.

Sadly this year I’ll be missing out on all the food due to the third year blues of endless essay deadlines, but I’ve researched some easy and cheap treats that will hopefully fill this void of disappointment!

So before you head out to one of the several Firework displays that are taking place around Nottingham, why don’t you treat your housemates to these tasty and budget friendly treats.

Toffee Apples

It’s worth the risk of losing one of your teeth on these caramel almond toffee apples. They’re so simple to make, yet taste like a little bit of heaven!

Method: Prepare an oiled baking sheet and push a lolly stick into the stork of 6 dessert apples.

Melt 400g of golden caster sugar with 100ml of water. Once dissolved add in 4 tbsp of Golden syrup and a couple of handfuls of almond flakes.

Once the toffee is ready (see tip) carefully coat each apple then place on the baking sheet to set.

Tip: you can test the toffee by pouring a bit into cold water. It should harden instantly and be easy to break. If you can still squish the toffee, continue to boil it.

Alternatively, break the mould by coating the apple in melted chocolate and sprinkles.

Chocolate Sparklers

Who wants an actual sparkler that can burn the tops of your fingers, when instead you can indulge your sweet tooth in an edible one – safety first kids!

Method: These are pretty self-explanatory: all you need is breadsticks, chocolate and lots of sprinkles.

Simply melt the chocolate and go crazy with the decoration.

Mini Toad in the Hole

Now not all treats have to be sweet! Before you head out to a display fill your stomachs with these mini Toad in the Holes. My tip – use spicy sausages for a little twist.

Method: Beat together 150ml of milk and 2 eggs, and then gradually stir in125g of flour until smooth.

Divide 1 tbsp of oil between a large muffin tin and place in the preheated oven until the oil starts to smoke.

Cut 9 sausages in half and place 3 halves in each muffin cup.

Roast for 8–10 minutes, turning occasionally until the sausages are browned.

Remove the muffin tin, pour the batter on top of the sausages and return to the oven.

Cook for 25 minutes, until the batter has risen and is golden brown.

S’mores

This has to be my favourite of them all, a recipe for S’mores without the hassle of a bonfire.

Method: Place chocolate chips in a frying pan (make sure it’s oven-safe). Top with giant marshmallow halves. Then bake for 5 minutes, until the marshmallows are nicely toasted.

Use your biscuit of choice to dip into the mixture.

You’ll be scraping the pan for every last smudge of chocolate and marshmallow!

Sources:

http://www.goodtoknow.co.uk/recipes/137511/Nutty-toffee-apples

http://www.talesfromahappyhouse.com/search/label/Autumn

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2011/nov/04/toad-in-the-hole-recipe

http://www.fivehearthome.com/2014/08/10/smores-dip-baked-in-skillet-oven/

Edited by Nicole Jones

Student at the University of Nottingham
Sam is a Third Year at the University of Nottingham, England and Campus Correspondent for HC Nottingham. She is studying English and would love a career in journalism or marketing (to name two very broad industries). But for now, her favourite pastimes include nightclubs, ebay, cooking, reading, hunting down new music, watching thought-provoking films, chatting, and attempting to find a sport/workout regime that she enjoys!