The Best of London Fashion Week SS16

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

Although autumn is only just approaching in the real world, the fashion world is already way ahead, and it took over London with its latest collections for Spring Summer 2016. London Fashion Week is the second stop during Fashion Month, attracting models, media and celebrities to the catwalks to see what we’ll all be wearing next season. This year, London showed some bold and beautiful collections that we can’t wait to see and wear next spring.

Burberry Prorsum

Burberry wowed on the London catwalk for Spring Summer 2016. Christopher Bailey triumphed once again with his Function Regalia collection which combined delicate femininity with a dark edge. The clothes were mainly black or nude with a prominent lace trend running throughout the show. Pair that with big chunky chained sandals and monogrammed floppy backpacks, and you have a winning collection. And of course there were a few trenches thrown in there just to keep up with tradition.

Topshop Unique

Topshop’s  Unique collection was all about mixing and matching, whether it was tailored formal pieces with casual pieces, patterns or textures. There was also a strong 80’s vibe throughout, with big hair, bright colours and oversized blazers. The floral prints and spots added a girly element to the clothes to contrast with the masculine tailoring. There was also a playful feeling to the catwalk with fur trimmed and ribbon shoes and bold leopard prints. The collection also featured leather pieces, floaty skirts and a lot of knitwear. Leave it to Topshop to mix so many contrasting styles and pull it off magnificently.

Issa

Jamie O’Hare’s second collection for Issa was confident and simple yet elaborately detailed. He featured crisp white tailoring with plunging necklines, lacy jumpsuits, as well as flowing and fitted dresses. He also mixed textures and embellishments throughout the collections which added to the luxurious look of the clothes. The simple colour scheme of white, black, blue and yellow was contrasted with lace-up open toed military style booties that added a pop to each outfit. This collection will be perfect for spring days next year.

Mary Katrantzou

The only way to describe Mary Katrantzou’s SS16 collection is bold. The patterns were bright, unique and rich, full of metallic and jewel toned colours, embellishments and varied textures. The dresses were all short and attentiongrabbing, with metallic buckled pointed toe booties and embellished tights to add to the daring look. The floaty and frilly designs of the skirts balanced out the bold prints making the designs perfect for a spring party.

Antonio Beradi

Antonio Beradi also featured a confident collection for this season at LFW. The catwalk started off with bold, almost regal, colourful prints with blues, reds and golds all combined in silky, floaty pieces. The floaty theme continued with more bold yellow and black prints that had a more geometric feel.  In contrast to these patterned pieces were luxurious black and embellished clothes. There was a wide colour palette with bright reds, ice blues, clean whites and lemon yellows. To finish the outfits off the models wore simple long flowing hair and bare makeup to focus on the clothes and let them shine.

Edited by Tia Ralhan 

Sources:

Vogue

Sophie is a 4th year student at the University of Nottingham, England. She is studying American Studies and would love a career in Journalism or Public Relations (preferably while living in NYC). Sophie has been a Fashion Blogger at HC Nottingham since she started at the University at Nottingham in 2012/13. She was also a Publicity Intern during her second year at HC Nottingham in 2013/14. She was a Campus Correspondent during her year abroad for HC Albany as well as contributing to writing for HC Nottingham. She is currently the Head of Publicity for Her Campus, as well as continuing to write fashion blogs. She is a self proclaimed fashion and make-up addict and she also enjoys travelling, reading, (excessively) watching TV shows and films, music, shopping and of course writing for Her Campus!