The Best and Worst Dressed of the Golden Globes 2014

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

The Golden Globes were held last Sunday and that means one thing, awards season is upon us! This year it was the 71st Golden Globes and lots of high profile stars showed up including Leonardo Di Caprio, Jennifer Lawrence, Julia Roberts,  Emma Watson and many more. The Golden Globes is always the first awards ceremony of the year so attendees pull out all the stops with their outfits, and this year the stars were definitely taking risks with their dresses. However I have to say that I was quite disappointed with the red carpet look. The risks that the celebrities took seemed a little too much, leading to a lot of worst dressed stars who could have looked amazing. Here are my best and worst dressed of the Golden Globes 2014.

Best Dressed

Lupita Nyong’o impressed everyone in this red Ralph Lauren dress with a cape. This was her first awards ceremony and she was undeniably one of the best dressed women of the night.

Jessica Chastain always looks so glamorous on red carpets and this year was no exception. She wore a custom made Givenchy dress with Bulgari jewellery to match.

Olivia Wilde looked stunning in this green sequined Gucci Premiere dress. She pulls it off really well as a maternity wear and green is definitely her colour. The loose waves and simple jewellery definitely complete this look.

Mila Kunis stunned in this sparkly sequined backless Gucci Premiere dress. She took a risk with such a bold dress and it pulled off thanks to her sleek pulled back hair with minimal accessories.

Emma Robert’s red carpet look was one of my favourites from the night. She looks classic and elegant but the off the shoulder look really works well on this Lanvin dress and makes this look stand out from a boring black gown.

Margot Robbie, Leonardo Di Caprio’s leading lady in the Golden Globe winning film The Wolf of Wall Street, looked fantastic in this embellished Gucci gown. The subtle embellishment and touches of green really make this dress stand out.

[pagebreak]

Leonardo Di Caprio, who won the Best Actor award in a musical or comedy, looked dapper alongside his long time director friend Martin Scorsese.

Breaking Bad’s Aaron Paul was definitely one of the best dressed men on the red carpet in a Burberry tuxedo which was very different from how we are used to seeing him as Jesse on the small screen.

Channing Tatum and Jenna Dewan Tatum were one of the best dressed couples of the night. Channing wore a Gucci suit and his wife wore a Roberto Cavalli dress.

Orlando Bloom is looking great after his split from Miranda Kerr and he was certainly one the best dressed men of the night in his Lanvin suit.

Worst Dressed

As much as I love Jennifer Lawrence this dress was so boring for her. The multiple black stripes just don’t look right on this Christian Dior dress and it isn’t very flattering on her. At least she was still her fun self photo-bombing other people’s pictures though!

Julia Roberts what were you thinking?! This Dolce and Gabbana dress would be gorgeous without a white shirt underneath it. The two items of clothing just do not work together and the look really isn’t appropriate for a high profile red carpet event.

[pagebreak]

Zoe Saldana had the potential to look amazing with her sleek hairstyle and gorgeous makeup but this Prabal Gurung dress had too much going on. The length doesn’t seem right and it would have looked so much better without the straps.

As much as I love Lena Dunham, and her TV show Girls, this Zac Posen dress was definitely one of the worst of the night. The yellow colour is too bright and the fit of the dress is so unflattering because of the bulkiness at the bottom.

This dress was just too much for French actress Berenice Bejo. The Giambattista Valli dress would have looked stunning without all of the unnecessary floral decoration.

Aubrey Plaza’s Oscar de la Renta gown was also one of the worst dressed of the night. The two shades of purple do not go well together and paired with the huge bow and the way the skirt is draped make the dress seem really dated. Also the shoes and bright pink clutch make the situation even worse.

Sandra Bullock truly disappointed in this Prabal Gurung dress. The pastel bright girly colours do not go well together with the large block of black in the dress. However Sandra’s hair and makeup looks fantastic.

[pagebreak]

Even though a lot of the dresses were bad this year, Paula Patton deserves the top spot on the worst dressed list. She would have looked stunning in a simple white dress but the huge ruffles on one side are terrible and overbearing.

Best After Party Looks

Emma Watson looked incredible at the Golden Globes after party. I much preferred this Theory dress to her red carpet look before the ceremony.

Sofia Vergara also looked amazing at the Golden Globes after party. Even though she looked great on the red carpet too, I also preferred her after party look as the fit of this Zuhair Murad dress is gorgeous on her and highlights her famous curves.

Nina Dobrev impressed in this chic black number from Giorgio Armani. This look is great for an after party and the embellishment isn’t too over the top. Her hair and makeup look gorgeous too.

Edited by Ili Mustafa

Sophie is a 4th year student at the University of Nottingham, England. She is studying American Studies and would love a career in Journalism or Public Relations (preferably while living in NYC). Sophie has been a Fashion Blogger at HC Nottingham since she started at the University at Nottingham in 2012/13. She was also a Publicity Intern during her second year at HC Nottingham in 2013/14. She was a Campus Correspondent during her year abroad for HC Albany as well as contributing to writing for HC Nottingham. She is currently the Head of Publicity for Her Campus, as well as continuing to write fashion blogs. She is a self proclaimed fashion and make-up addict and she also enjoys travelling, reading, (excessively) watching TV shows and films, music, shopping and of course writing for Her Campus! 
Sam is a Third Year at the University of Nottingham, England and Campus Correspondent for HC Nottingham. She is studying English and would love a career in journalism or marketing (to name two very broad industries). But for now, her favourite pastimes include nightclubs, ebay, cooking, reading, hunting down new music, watching thought-provoking films, chatting, and attempting to find a sport/workout regime that she enjoys!