Best and Quirkiest Places to Stay in the US

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

For a lot of people, America is a place that boasts a myriad of cultures, personalities and political stances, all of which offer tourists a vast range of experiences to be had whilst exploring its great depths. I have always wanted to travel around the US, and as a University student who obviously has no money, the best means of this would be to hostel-hop. When travelling, the places you stay in actually play a huge part in the overall experience, and so it’s always worth researching further to find the ideal place to relax/party/explore, whatever’s your vibe.

1. USA Hostels Ocean Beach, San Diego, California

It’s no real surprise that California boasts a variety of hostels with quirky and cool aesthetics, and USA Hostels Ocean Beach is arguably the best of them. It’s not solely its bold design that entices travellers to stay; it also offers the typically acclaimed American activities such as beer pong and beach campfires, not to mention discounted surf hire and lessons.

2. Freehand Miami, Miami

With a relaxed ambiance and ethereal feel, Freehand is a cosy hostel ideal for those who wish to escape the busy strip. Its prime location, in being very close to the beach, has a bar offering one of a kind cocktails, which makes this an ideal hostel for travellers to stay.

3. Banana Bungalows, Hollywood Boulevard, Los Angeles

This hostel is perfect for those interested in anything retro; this old motel has been refurbished into a traveller’s paradise. Within this hostel, a bamboo-esque lounge area, plus a tiki inspired garden and patio are on offer to host the likes of free BBQs and social gatherings. And if that wasn’t enough, they also offer party bus limo rides and the iconic Hollywood sign can be seen from the courtyard.

4. Hostel Cat, Las Vegas, Nevada

This hostel is not for the faint-hearted traveller. Ideal for those travelling solo or groups seeking non-stop partying. Each evening starts with a pre-game and then carries on to one of the many clubs Las Vegas has to offer. 

And for those willing to splash the cash on a unique experience…

5. The Wigwam Motel, Holbrook, Arizona

This is also perfect for those who enjoy the vintage feel of things. The Wigwam Motel dates back to the 1950s and is located off the Historic Route 66.

6. The Dog Bark Park, Cottonwood, Idaho

Dog Bark Park is home to the World’s Two Biggest Beagles, Toby who is a 12-foot tall beagle statue, and Sweet Willy.

7. Red Caboose Motel, Ronks, Pennsylvania

This motel is especially unique as it is hidden away in an Amish farming community. The accommodation offered is comfy and fully equipped rooms in the caboose cars, some with private decks and views of the beautiful surrounding scenery.

Edited by Angelica Beier

Image Sources

1

2

3

4

5

6

7

Emily Talbut

Nottingham

I'm a third year English student at University of Nottingham and when I'm not working or writing, I'm probably watching a Disney movie or listening to one of their soundtracks! I'm a Campus Correspondent for HC Nottingham and generally write about food, travel, and the food I've experienced on my travels!