Benjamin Sim Wei Ming – A Cappella Society

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

What inspired you to bring this society to University of Nottingham?

A love of singing coupled with the evidently burgeoning trend of  A Cappella groups inspired me. Moreover, our University has yet to have an official A Cappella Society that it can call its own so I think it’s time that something like this started.

Why should we join?

It’s A Cappella! Need I say more? It’s fun. It’s vibrant. You sing catchy tunes with friends. It’s something pitched at a comfortable level for anyone to learn. I’d say give it a try!

Do you think that shows like Glee and films like Pitch Perfect have paved the way for more a cappella groups?

I definitely think so – they advertise and inspire people to follow suit, and to a certain extent normalise the trend (in a good way). The very fact that there are major television series and films being centred about a cappella groups speaks volumes about how much the a cappella industry has grown.

Nottingham is one of the UK’s music capitals; can we expect to see A Cappella showcasing their talent in one of the open-mic nights across the city at some point this year?

We’d love to, but we are fairly new. There are other a cappella groups established here in Nottingham so everyone should check it out. (Don’t worry though, if we do have an event, first dibs will go to Her Campus magazine!)

The critically acclaimed London Grammar originated right here in the University of Nottingham. Can we expect next big thing to form here? 

If you have prior expectations, that would result in regret if there are shortfalls, right? Haha but looking at the talent you can find right here in Nottingham University, I would not be surprised if […] something big [came from] all this at the end. Take a look at Revival Gospel Choir and how exceedingly well they are doing. We’ll try out best too! Do show A Cappella some love and support.

Sexism in the music industry has increasingly been the subject for debate in the past couple of years. We recently discussed “lad culture” in UK universities here on Her Campus. Do you think that music is helping or linked in ignoring problems of “lad culture” in the UK?

Well, I qualify first that I probably am not the most informed about this but will try to answer this as best as I can. I actually think music is the double-edged sword in this one. There are instances where we have music about female empowerment and self-love that all go towards galvanizing respect for women i.e. “Respect” by Aretha Franklin, “Independent Women” by Destiny’s Child, and”Can’t Hold Us Down” by Christina Aguilera. On the other hand, we have women depicted as sex symbols and relegated to domestic stereotypes i.e. “Anaconda” by Nicki Minaj, “Blurred Lines” by Robin Thicke and “I’m A Woman” by Peggy Lee. It’s like deliberately trying to halt and dismiss all the other front’s society has made in terms of treating and recognising women – didn’t we already establish Women’s Suffrage? With regards to helping or linked in ignoring the problems of “lad culture” in the UK, I’d have to say that sadly – even though music has the potential the help mitigate or alleviate the issue – today’s popular music is kind of revolving around themes of “sex, masculinity, wild parties, etc.”, which unfortunately would serve as a springboard to propel “lad culture” and give it a strong foothold in our generation.

Finally, we heard that the society is planning on forming a competitive group. Do you have any words of wisdom for those who are thinking of auditioning?

Come with a smile and interest for A Cappella singing :)

Jenine Tudtud

Nottingham '17

Jenine is a fourth year American and Canadian Studies student at the University of Nottingham and is hoping to get a career in journalism or publishing. She is currently one of the Campus Correspondents for Her Campus Nottingham! She has just returned from The College of New Jersey after spending the past year studying abroad.