This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

Investing in good quality haircare and skincare has always been an absolute must for me. Although my recommendations are on the pricier side, I believe they are worth it. I have created a little list of my absolute must-haves for all those who want to upgrade their beauty routines! As with anything, I cannot claim these products will work for everyone, nor am I a dermatologist. So, whilst I highly recommend these things, buy at your own risk!

La Roche-Posay Cicaplast Soothing Face and Body Balm B5

This is my holy grail. My ride or die. I will NEVER stop speaking about this product. La Roche-Posay is one of my favourite skincare brands anyway, but this moisturiser is a miracle worker. I stumbled upon this last February when I had covid because for some reason my skin completely dried out. It is promoted as a multipurpose repairing balm that ‘soothes, repairs and protects the skin’.

It is specifically formulated for: [taken directly from the Boots website].

• Chapped and cracked skin
  • Dry or rough patches
  • Rashes (including nappy rash on babies)
  • Minor injuries eg. scrapes and grazes
  • Eczema flare-ups
  • Irritated skin
  • Insect bites
  • New tattoos

I thought it would just help with my dry skin, but it did SO much more. At the time I had quite severe acne. Now, I cannot sit here and claim that this is what cured my acne, BUT – my skin texture transformed, I was glowing, and most of my acne went. I do believe that it was due to this product! It contains 5% panthenol, it is non-comedogenic (if you have acne, ALWAYS get non-comedogenic products), and it is anti-bacterial. Like with anything, this may not work for you. I also would like to add that it does not claim anywhere that it is for acne or helps with acne, this is just coming from personal experience.

Disciple London Dreamy Skin Retinyl Oil 

I have always been sceptical about skin oils, mainly because I have never been a fan of the consistency or the feel. However, this night oil is INCREDIBLE. The product claims that it ‘helps regenerate skin cells while you sleep – reducing pigmentation, pore size, fine lines and boosting firmness’. Not to mention, it is specifically designed for acne-prone skin. I have also noticed such a huge difference in the appearance of my complexion; it is more radiant, and the sizes of my pores have shrunk massively. Highly recommend!

Erborian Skin Hero Bare Skin Perfector 

This is the perfect product for that ‘no makeup, makeup’ look. It is silicone-free and non-tinted, visibly improving the quality and texture of the skin. It claims that it combines ‘the efficacy of Korean White Ginseng complex with retexturizing enzymes’. White Ginseng Complex is known for its ‘moisturizing, antioxidant and smooth properties’. Overall, I do believe that this product is well worth the money! My skin complexion has definitely improved since using this product.

ARKIVE The Good Habit Hybrid Oil 

This hair oil is TO DIE FOR. It is made from a ‘combination of Baobab and Jojoba oils to give ultra-light moisture and shine to the hair’. Firstly, it smells beautiful – I feel like a princess every time I apply it to my hair. Secondly, my hair looks (and more importantly, feels) visibly shiny and healthy.

Wella Professionals Hair Care

If you dye your hair, this brand is a must. I get my hair bleached and whilst I love being blonde, the dryness and damage is REAL. My hairdresser recommended me this and it is amazing. Every time I wash my hair with this it feels like I have just stepped out of the salon. Although it is expensive, it maintains and keeps my hair healthier for longer. My personal favourite is the fusion range, which is ‘especially indicated for damaged hair’ and ‘helps to protect hair against breakage due to combing and prevents future damage’.

Happy Shopping!!!

Jasmine Eastman

Nottingham '23

Head of Reviews for Her Campus University of Nottingham. I am a third year studying English. You will most likely find me in Portland Coffee spending too much money on their hot drinks.