This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

This time of year always feels a bit off for me. Christmas cheer has left us, New Years resolutions have been politely ignored and exams are a dark and distant memory. We’re left with *actual* spare time (hello old friend) but the constant, niggling feeling that there’s something incredibly important we’re forgetting to do. So as I wait for my days to gain some form of purpose again I’ve compiled a list of products I’ve recently become obsessed with that everyone needs to try. This list includes some beauty products I consistently repurchase, Christmas presents I’ve had time to test and some cult favourites I couldn’t resist trying …while my overdraft cried out in pain. I can just about 100% guarantee that the products on this list will change your life for the better while you deal with the February blues.

1. Smashbox Photo Finish Primer

I’d never before seen the point in primer until I caved under Smashbox’s promises of “a perfect canvas for foundation application”, “increased longevity” and “flawless skin” and bought their Photo Finish Primer with an Amazon gift card that was meant to be used on books (Oops). I can confirm, however, that I have not regretted this decision. I was dubious from the start. I didn’t see how something that looks and feels exactly like a moisturiser could instantly even my skin tone and make my makeup last longer, but it definitely does! The Smashbox Photo Finish Primer (£25) has won numerous beauty awards so you know you’re getting a quality product for your money, and it further boasts vitamins A and E, grape seed extract and green tea which are all goodies for your skin.

2. Coconut oil

I’m sure everyone has heard of the coconut oil craze that has overtaken the beauty world so I won’t attempt to name the hundred things it can supposedly be used for… I can’t claim to know the science behind this “superfood” but I personally love using it as an intense moisturiser on my skin, particularly with the disgusting weather we’ve been having lately! It’s also great as a makeup remover, natural chapstick and frizz tamer. Definitely a godsend. You can find big jars of this in most supermarkets or online for around £10.

3. Clinique Chubby Stick Intense Moisturizing Lip Colour Balm

Clinique Chubby Sticks (£17) are my solution to everything I hate about lipstick. Don’t be fooled by the word “balm”, the colour of these is just as intense as a traditional lipstick without any of the drying effects and they last absolutely ages! I rarely find myself needing to reapply yet at the same time they aren’t ridiculously difficult to scrub off either. My favourite shade is a deep pinky-red called Roomiest Rose, and by the amount of girls that have asked to borrow it I can safely say it suits any and every skin tone.

4. Crest 3D Professional Effects Whitestrips

For anyone that is as completely obsessed with white teeth as I am, I present Crest 3D Professional Effects Whitestrips (approx. £40). This is the only teeth whitening product I have ever tried that actually works and actually lasts. You apply the strips once a day for 30 minutes and can see results after just three uses. Unfortunately, I don’t think these are available to purchase anywhere in the UK so I buy mine off of eBay sellers in America because I am just that desperate.

5. Soap & Glory Makeup Range

I have always been a massive fan of Soap & Glory products (that smell, oh my…) so I was very excited to try their new makeup range when it launched. What started as a one off, last minute purchase of a concealer turned into a long and fulfilling love affair with their complete collection. My favourite products that I’m continuously repurchasing are their Kick Ass Concealer (£10), which includes two shades of concealer for under eye circles and blemishes and a blotting powder, Peach Party Multi-Colour Blush Brick (£11) and Arch De Triumph Eyebrow Shaper & Highlighter (£9).

6. Beauty Blender Sponge

I read about this egg-shaped foundation applicator a long time ago in a magazine and lusted after it. I hate foundation brushes as I can never seem to get an even finish with them and I feel like most of the product stays deep within the bristles of the brush. I can’t be the only one with this problem… The curves of the Beauty Blender Sponge (£13) fit perfectly into the contours of your face and give your skin that flawless finish you see on beauty gurus in the know. What more could you want!

Edited by Ili Mustafa

I'm a second year English Language and Literature student at the University of Nottingham who is worryingly obsessed with organising and could spend an entire day in Boots comparing makeup and beauty products. Aside from this... I love a good night out, green tea, dogs, artsy fartsy films, cooking and being overly competitive in board games.
Sam is a Third Year at the University of Nottingham, England and Campus Correspondent for HC Nottingham. She is studying English and would love a career in journalism or marketing (to name two very broad industries). But for now, her favourite pastimes include nightclubs, ebay, cooking, reading, hunting down new music, watching thought-provoking films, chatting, and attempting to find a sport/workout regime that she enjoys!