Style > Beauty

Beauty Advent Calendars – Which One Do You Need This December?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

Gone are the days of advent calendars with a piece of chocolate behind each door throughout December. 2017 seems to be all about the rise of beauty advent calendars. For all you beauty lovers out there, is there anything more exciting than make-up, skincare, fragrance and even candles to wake up to on a cold December morning? This year, most brands have jumped on the beauty advent calendar bandwagon, making it difficult to choose – but fear not! We have put together a helpful guide to find out which advent calendar you need if you’ve been good this year.

For the avid manicurist

Ciaté Mini Mani Month (£50) is the calendar for you. This features 18 mini polishes plus 1 full sized polish, extra limited edition surprise gifts with 4 new shades exclusive to the calendar.  All shades are colours you can wear all year round, and if you’ve tried any Ciaté polishes before, you will know how high quality and long lasting they are. You will never need to pay for a manicure again!

The Best All-Rounder

Feel Unique’s 12 days of beauty while only containing 12 doors, beats the rest in terms of variation. If you want skincare, fragrance, lip products, eye shadows and body products then this is the calendar for you. Including both high-end brands such as Elizabeth Arden and high street brands such as Rimmel, this calendar is is reasonably priced at £35.

For the Lipstick Lover

Nyx Lippie Countdown (£50) is every lipstick obsessive’s dream. In fact, you will probably never need to buy a new lipstick again. Inside, you will find four matte lipsticks, three cream lipsticks, two chubby lip creams, four liquid lipsticks, three matte lip creams, three traditional lipsticks and five creamy lip-glosses inside; all with Nyx’s impressive professional formula. Without ruining the surprise, there are a wide variety of shades from daring bright magentas to everyday neutrals. The only downside? The packaging is far from festive which is why it missed the top spot.

For a luxury treat

The Estée Lauder Companies calendar comes in a dazzling star shape complete with gold, so will be a perfect Christmas addition to your dressing table. At £125, it is something to treat yourself with. Having said that, it is packed with a huge range of high-end products, all under the Estée Lauder umbrella.

In case you weren’t aware, Lauder owns the likes of MAC, Clinique, Bobbi Brown, Bumble and Bumble, GlamGlow and Michael Kors as well as Estée Lauder products. Other luxury calendars include Jo Malone (£300) and Charlotte Tilbury (£150) but as these only feature one type of product, the Lauder Companies win in terms of product variation.

Best on a Budget

For £30, Make-up Revolution has won the student-budget-friendly advent calendar prize. To start with, the packaging is a beautiful black and rose gold with a sparkly Christmas tree design. The calendar inside includes 3 of their famous highlighters, 1 bronzer, 6 lipsticks, 1 eye primer, 1 liquid highlighter, 2 pressed highlighters, 2 strobe balms and 1 full exclusive eye-shadow palette as well as all the tools you might need such as 4 brushes and a travel mirror. At £30 for all of that, you really can’t go wrong. Also close were Soap and Glory (£40) and Benefit Cosmetics (£34.50).

But if you’re anything like me, you’ll probably buy a chocolate one as well…

Edited by Tia Ralhan

Image Sources

1

2

3

4

5

Josie Severn

Nottingham

Emily Talbut

Nottingham

I'm a third year English student at University of Nottingham and when I'm not working or writing, I'm probably watching a Disney movie or listening to one of their soundtracks! I'm a Campus Correspondent for HC Nottingham and generally write about food, travel, and the food I've experienced on my travels!