Style > Beauty

The Au Naturel Face: 4 Steps to Makeup Without Wearing Any Makeup

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

Don’t get us wrong, we live and breathe makeup here at Her Campus Beauty, but we also like to have a hassle-free, makeup-free day every now and then. We’re pretty sure you’ll agree that knowing you won’t have to be removing a full face of makeup when you get home is one of the best feelings for a makeup lover, because let’s face it, who actually likes the chore of taking their makeup off at the end of a tiring day?

It’s almost spring so what better time to refresh your skin than by letting it breathe between heavier makeup applications? Read on because we have tips and tricks on how to look fresh, dewy, and awake without even a bit of makeup.

Mac Strobe Cream 30ml, available at Asos.com for £12

First of all, you’ll need to prep the skin by cleansing/exfoliating and moisturising with your regular skincare products that you know work for you to ensure that the skin is clean and prepped.

Next, apply a skin perfector like the Mac Strobe Cream, which is technically not considered makeup since it leans more towards the side of skincare so much that you can even sleep in it. Its ingredients contain nutritious vitamins, antioxidants, and green tea which work to moisturise, clarify, and brighten dull and tired skin. The Strobe Cream is famous for its iridescent particles which give the skin a healthy glow in all lighting conditions but looks particularly gorgeous in natural light.

Elizabeth Arden Eight Hour Cream Skin Protectant 50ml, available at Johnlewis.com for £18 or Vaseline Lip Therapy Rosy Lips 20g, available at Superdrug.com for £1.95

This next product is a saviour because it’s multipurpose, which is so convenient on those days when you really don’t need any extra hassle. The Elizabeth Arden Eight Hour Cream Skin Protectant is a cult, award-winning beauty product for a reason. Pat a little onto the cheek bones and the tip of the nose as if it were a highlighter for the most natural looking radiant glow.

You could also try rose tinted Vaseline which is a much cheaper alternative but pretty much has the same consistency and effect, plus it will infuse the skin will some fresh dewy colour. The Eight Hour Cream and Vaseline can also be brushed through the brows with a spoolie to tame and set them, combed through the eyelashes to add some definition and curl, and patted onto the eyelids for a glossy finish. This way you can mimic makeup without actually putting any on.

Burt’s Bees Lipstick, available at Boots.com for £9.99

The next step is the most common trick in the beauty book when it comes to makeup without wearing makeup. Finish the fully natural look by applying your favourite tinted lip balm. We would recommend one of the new Burt’s Bees Lipsticks, they have around 12 different colours available which are all made with natural ingredients and have highly pigmented, satin finish.

MAC Prep + Prime Fix+ Spray 100ml, available at Asos.com for £19 or Little Mac Prep + Prime Fix + 30ml, available at Asos.com for £12

Lastly, spritz on some facial spray to set all of those no makeup products in place to soothe, refresh and glow up the skin even more with ingredients like chamomile, cucumber, and green tea. The Mac Prep + Prime Fix+ Spray has come out better than ever with three delicious new scents/flavours, Rose, Coconut, and Lavender, which are really getting us excited for spring/summer.

Edited by Angelica Beier

Image Sources

1

2

3

4

5

Saifa Ahmed

Nottingham

Emily Talbut

Nottingham

I'm a third year English student at University of Nottingham and when I'm not working or writing, I'm probably watching a Disney movie or listening to one of their soundtracks! I'm a Campus Correspondent for HC Nottingham and generally write about food, travel, and the food I've experienced on my travels!