timon studler BIk2ANMmNz4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
timon studler BIk2ANMmNz4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Ariana Grande’s New Single Defies the Break-up Song Stereotype

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

If there’s one girl who’s had her fair share of heartbreaks and heartaches lately, then it’s Ariana Grande. Inspite all of the hardship she has endured over the past couple of years, she has come out of the other end stronger than ever. This is a sentiment that is strongly reflected upon and, much to the dismay of its stereotypical form, celebrated in her latest single.

In ‘Thank U, Next’ Ariana first pays heart-warming tributes to her exes, breaking the first and most pressing stereotype that, post-break-up, you have to hate tyour ex as much as you once loved them. Stating the obvious that she ‘almost got married’, she thanks her ex-fiancé Pete Davidson and then swiftly, in the next line, wishes that she could also thank the late Mac Miller. All of these emotions are delivered in short lines within the same verse, set alongside a surprisingly uplifting instrumental that really does mark her intentions to move on to what is ‘next’ without wasting precious time.

Instead of any speculation regarding a new man, however, Ariana defies the stereotype of moving on too soon once again as she goes on to tell us how she has found solace with herself: ‘her name is Ari’. This is truly the most feel-good moment in the song as she signifies her autonomy as a female agent independent of her past relationships. It’s truly a special point that defies pop’s usual handling of the conclusion to a break-up song.

Overall, Grande’s new single celebrates how women can find themselves disregarding the presence of men. I have to agree with Ariana, then, when she says that she truly has ‘turned out amazing’. Not only does she affirm this to herself, but she reaffirms it to the demographic of young girls who idolise her.  For these reasons, this new wave of break-up song is an artform I can get behind.

by Chloe Jade Clarke

Image

1

Hey, I'm Chloe Jade Clarke. I studied at the University of Nottingham for a degree in English and Philosophy from 2016-2019. During my time here I started out in journalism as a reviewer for Her Campus Nottingham before being promoted to Campus Correspondent (editor-in-chief) in my third year. After graduation, I will be training for my News Journalism MA at Cardiff University. Here are a selection of articles that I've written over the past couple of years; I hope you enjoy reading them as much as I enjoyed writing them!