Leaves Converse Fall Sneakers Ground
Leaves Converse Fall Sneakers Ground
Jackie Ryan / Her Campus
Life > Experiences

Appreciating November

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

Often thought of as a transition month between Halloween and Christmas, is there any month as underappreciated and skipped over as November?

Already close to half the month has flown behind us and yet it feels like the dressing up and pumpkin carving of Halloween was only yesterday. It’s no wonder time seems to speed up at this time of year when festive adverts are being pushed on us already and Old Market Square is beginning to look suspiciously like a Christmas market. Personally, I believe now is a good time to step back and try to appreciate the present moment.

Slowing down and appreciating the month, day, moment and second I’m in has helped me to not rush ahead of myself and become overly stressed about the future or the past. So, here are a few ways I try to appreciate November, and to remember that autumn isn’t quite over yet:

• Autumn walks. A seemingly obvious choice, but I’ve found that as the days become darker I need to schedule time in for walks, especially on dreary days when you’re not quite sure when you’ll see the last of the sun. The crunching leaves remind me of the changing seasons and how beautiful nature is, and they are especially pretty at Wollaton Hall or the canal in Lenton at this time of year. A walk and chat with a friend are perfect without the distraction of phones or TV, whilst a walk alone is a chance to clear busy heads, bringing me onto my next suggestion:
  • Creating and listening to “sad girl” playlists. By no means do these necessarily have to be sad but I’ve found autumn just has this vibe that’s impossible to capture at any other point in the year. Certain songs or genres just seem to be made for autumn and won’t hit the same in a month’s time. My personal go-to this season has been this one, perfect for romanticising busy campus days.
  • Prioritising mental health in the changing weather. A huge factor affecting mood is the lack of sunlight we are starting to get used to. Making sure to be taking Vitamin D supplements regularly and prioritising our sleep patterns so that we are getting as much sunlight as possible is a vital habit to be getting into around now. The NHS recommends that in autumn and winter all adults should be taking Vitamin D supplements since the sun is not strong enough for our bodies to make Vitamin D and it is difficult to get enough through food alone. This is important for many different health reasons, but in particular Vitamin D deficiencies have been linked to Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD).
  • New autumn recipes that use seasonal vegetables! Think soups or tray bakes with vegetables easily accessible in supermarkets at the minute, because they are in season, with lots of herbs and spices to warm you up.
  • Being grateful. Though Thanksgiving is an entirely US tradition, maybe now is a good time to adopt this mind-set of gratefulness that is celebrated in their holiday. Stopping to reflect on where you’re at and what you have to be grateful for is a practice that has helped me massively, and I’ve found creating a physical list to remind me feels rewarding.

Whilst there is nothing wrong with waiting excitedly for Christmas to come around, I for one am guilty of saying to my friends “where did all the time go?” Paying attention to and appreciating the month I’m in has helped the year feel like it’s not flying out of my hands.

Rachael Daly

Nottingham '23

Hi! I'm a third year English with Creative Writing student at the University of Nottingham :)