All the rom-com movies in Ariana Grande’s thank u, next music video

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

The music video for Ariana Grande’s latest single ‘thank u, next’ dropped on Friday 30th November, the already successful song detailing memories with her past ex-boyfriends, including Mac Miller (who died earlier this year), and Pete Davidson (her ex-fiancé, which was an especially messy break-up). Now with the music video accompanying it, it’s sure to make its rounds of social media yet again – but here is the definitive list of what movies were shown in the music video.

1) MEAN GIRLS

The music video opens in an homage to perhaps the most iconic teen movie of the 2000’s, with Ariana posing as Regina George and with snippets from the movie itself: “Ariana Grande told me my hair looks sexy pushed back. She’s not wrong”. She follows the most popular scenes of the movie itself, including the ‘Plastics’ walking down the hallway, the ‘Burn Book’ and of course, the Christmas dance. No spoilers, but she really is a cool mum.

2) BRING IT ON

What 2000’s teen movie montage wouldn’t be complete without ‘Bring it On’, the cheerleading movie staring Kristen Dunts? The two scenes that are chosen are the hilarious face off with tooth brushing and the later cheerleading showdown that takes up the last movies of the film.

3) 13 GOING ON 30

Ariana then cuts to the final scenes of ’13 Going on 30’ where the movie’s Jenna Rink (played by Jennifer Garner) has just professed her love to childhood sweetheart Matt Flamhaff (Mark Ruffalo). In a short little scene, the music is referring to the point in the story when she is reflecting when she will eventually go up the isle, hand in hand with her mama. (Cue the ‘awwws!’)

4) LEGALLY BLONDE

Following that somber note, we jump into the next movie, ‘Legally Blonde’. So many good scenes are shown here, including the entrance into Harvard; working out in Elle’s room, and finishing in the iconic ‘bend-and-snap’ movements that are permanently etched in our brains. What’s even better is that Ariana got the original cast during that scene as well!

Images

1

2

3

Annie McGill

Nottingham '19

Hey everybody, I'm Annie and am currently a third year at the University of Nottingham! I love writing about things happening in popular culture and always manage to have an opinion about everything, which is why writing articles about why the new Popular Show is actually terrible can be very therapeutic to me. Join me in the discovery to find new films, TV shows and anything in between to talk about!
Hey, I'm Chloe Jade Clarke. I studied at the University of Nottingham for a degree in English and Philosophy from 2016-2019. During my time here I started out in journalism as a reviewer for Her Campus Nottingham before being promoted to Campus Correspondent (editor-in-chief) in my third year. After graduation, I will be training for my News Journalism MA at Cardiff University. Here are a selection of articles that I've written over the past couple of years; I hope you enjoy reading them as much as I enjoyed writing them!