Accessories Trends Autumn/Winter 2015

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

Sometimes your wardrobe can get a bit repetitive or boring, especially if you end up recycling the same items all the time. Creating an entirely new and fresh outfit isn’t always the first priority when waking up late for your 9am lecture and having to shower, get dressed, do your hair and makeup in less than half an hour. That’s where accessories come in. They can instantly update and renew your outfits, and you can still wear your favourite cosy jumper again and again. What more could you ask for? Autumn and Winter are the best time to buy some new accessories to liven up your wardrobe, especially now we can invest in more scarves, hats and gloves again. Here is our guide to the latest accessories trends this season.

Scarves

The best part about autumn and winter accessories is buying a brand new scarf. They keep us warm and cosy throughout the day and they can really transform an outfit. This season, huge scarves that are big enough to be a blanket are in. You can’t go wrong with a classic tartan or checked scarf. Faux fur stoles are also on trend and can add instant elegance to any coat or jumper.

Zara Chevron Scarf – £22.99

River Island Dark Red Checked Scarf – £15 

Topshop Faux Fur Stole Scarf – £28 

Headwear

Headwear and hats may not be for everybody but if they are your thing then get buying because Autumn and Winter produce some of the most stylish hats. They are also great if you are having a bad hair day or have run out of dry shampoo (nightmare!). Fedoras have been on trend for a few years now and still haven’t gone out of style – they can be found in most high street shops. They look great with anything faux fur. For the practical girl a beanie is the answer. They may not seem like the most flattering hat but many are cute and cosy and will certainly keep you warm. Some even have faux fur pompoms on for the more daring trendsetter.

Miss Selfridge Grey Fedora – £17.50 

Topshop Beanie Hat – £14.00

Gloves

Gloves are a necessity during the cold winter months. Although we may have to abandon texting for our walks to campus, they are definitely worth it. A pair of leather gloves will keep you warm and look fashionable and dressy at the same time. Suede gloves are popular at the moment due to the 70s trend and look great in a tan or burgundy colour to brighten up an outfit. Classic knitted gloves are always a staple and many come with foldable mittens and finger holes for when you really need to use your phone.

Zara Check Gloves – £15 

Topshop Mixed Knit Gloves – £14 

New Look Dark Red Suede Gloves – £14.99 

Jewellery

Of course you can buy jewellery all year round but different styles are more suitable for certain outfits and seasons, and they can enhance any jumper or long sleeved t-shirt that’s lacking a bit of lustre. Statement necklaces are perfect for adding something extra to your outfit, and they can be worn throughout the year too, both for the daytime and evening. Costume jewellery was also big on the catwalks this year. Think opulent and big earrings or bracelets to really jazz up your favourite oversized sweater.

Zara Statement Necklace – £19.99

Topshop Flower Fan Earrings – £14 

Bags

A bag is an everyday essential for a student. Big totes are great for when you need to take your laptop to university or for when you need to carry what seems like hundreds of books back home for all your essays. Also, as party season quickly approaches, we recommend investing in a good glitzy clutch bag which is sure to come in very handy once December arrives.

Warehouse Polished Shopper – £42

Zara Mini Messenger Bag – £17.99

Edited by Lucy Jackman 

Sources:

Sophie is a 4th year student at the University of Nottingham, England. She is studying American Studies and would love a career in Journalism or Public Relations (preferably while living in NYC). Sophie has been a Fashion Blogger at HC Nottingham since she started at the University at Nottingham in 2012/13. She was also a Publicity Intern during her second year at HC Nottingham in 2013/14. She was a Campus Correspondent during her year abroad for HC Albany as well as contributing to writing for HC Nottingham. She is currently the Head of Publicity for Her Campus, as well as continuing to write fashion blogs. She is a self proclaimed fashion and make-up addict and she also enjoys travelling, reading, (excessively) watching TV shows and films, music, shopping and of course writing for Her Campus!