A Night of Pure Magic: Reviewing the Harry Potter in Concert Experience (5*)

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

Whilst mindlessly flicking through TikTok, have you ever come across a really cool experience which you watch for a minute, before scrolling on and forgetting about it? I have done this too many times. However, when struggling to find an exciting gift for my boyfriend’s fast-approaching Birthday last year, I suddenly thought about a video he’d sent me earlier that week: an experience of watching the Harry Potter films with a live orchestra. I thought it unlikely that I would find any performances within my budget or proximity, but I decided to have a look anyway and I am SO glad that I did

In early November, I was lucky enough to get tickets to see Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1 in Concert, performed by the Royal Philharmonic Concert Orchestra and English Chamber Choir at the Royal Albert Hall. Despite the penultimate film being one of the darkest and most sombre in the Harry Potter franchise, the charismatic conductor, Justin Freer, opened the performance with a light-hearted speech, injecting fun into the experience by encouraging audience cheers for each of Hogwarts’s houses (which was of course met by boos and hisses for Slytherin). 

As soon as the film began, the opening line, “These are dark times” ricocheted through the hall, creating a hushed, yet electric atmosphere among the audience. However, the real magic trickled into the room when the orchestra struck the first notes of the beautiful opening piece, ‘Obliviate’. 

The experience left me in awe of the musicians that devoured Alexandre Desplat’s tantalising score in such a flawless capacity. The Royal Philharmonic Concert Orchestra and English Chamber Choir were so pitch perfect that at times, I forgot they were there and proceeded to get lost in the gripping story of the seventh movie. When suddenly, I would glance down from the screen after remembering that this enchanting, breath-taking symphony of strings, woodwind, brass, percussion, and choral voices were all being performed live, directly in front of me. 

The allurement of the live music amplified the most moving parts of the film. Without giving any spoilers, during the scene involving a certain character’s farewell, I experienced an overwhelming beauty that only live theatre can produce. As I listened to the elegant performance of the poignant score, I felt my heart catch in my throat and my arms prickle with goosebumps. At the end of the scene, the deep silence that swept over the hall except for a single violin reassured me that my profuse emotions were shared by thousands in the audience. 

Overall, this event was a truly unique cinematic experience, which remains to be unmatched by anything I have ever seen before. Plus, the tickets were not incredibly expensive and are definitely good value for money. So, all in all, whether a Harry Potter fan or not, I would Siriusly recommend going to see the films in concert to anyone.

P.S. Tickets for next year are on sale now for the final film in concert (Deathly Hallows Part 2), although ticket sales seem to be flying… so be quick if you would like to go! 

Libby Warren

Nottingham '24

Libby Warren is a writer for the Nottingham Chapter of Her Campus, specialising in sociological issues and current affairs, with her other interests including travelling, film/TV and sport. She is a final year Sociology student at the University of Nottingham, hoping to study Broadcast Journalism after her undergrad. Alongside writing articles, Libby hosts UoN's women in sport podcast: 'Like A Green And Gold Girl'. In her free time, Libby plays competitive badminton in BUCS. She also loves all things film/TV/theatre, having trained as an actor in London before coming to Nottingham.