“A hate letter to Hollywood and a love letter to Movies”: How Babylon has changed the perception of the Film Industry 

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

Babylon reveals the cinema’s exploitative history, showcasing the behind-the-scenes brimming with sex, drugs, music, love and betrayal. The movie tracks the rise and fall of cinema stars who shaped the film industry and planted the foundations for the screen we watch today. We are introduced to several people given the chance to succeed in film, however, it is shown it can only be achieved at a cost.

The beginning of the film encapsulates the chaotic nature of these characters and the harsh reality of the career they are about to delve into. The free and easy lifestyle demonstrated here at this flamboyant party is viewed through Manny Torres, a Mexican immigrant passionate about making films and Nellie LaRoy, an eccentric and confident woman aspiring for an acting career: “Honey you don’t become a star you either one or you ain’t. I am one.” Their entrances are anything but plain sailing with Nellie crashing a car with her crazy hair and mesmerising clothing and Manny arriving after an eventful scene towing an elephant to the party. Yet, the engagement between these characters on a friendship and even romantic level truly demonstrated the encouragement and solidarity between those in film. Seeing their aspirations at the beginning of the movie perhaps reflects their naivety to what they are getting themselves into and so, an audience particularly sympathises with these two characters throughout.

Filming takes place for silent movies in 1926 in a desert but what is made apparent is that these movies are anything but silent! The collisions, shouting and immense amount of drinking give a behind-the-scenes view of the building blocks towards the kind of film we see today. By having such a range of people from different backgrounds and abilities in one setting, it shows how any one person could create a dent in this trade. Brad Pitt’s character Jack Conrad is made more apparent when he is praised for portraying the heroic, attractive male. But what purpose can you have in film where you rely on your looks? Jack’s character addresses this concern from his decline in film, when ageing and the pressures in the standards of beauty in Hollywood increase.

The introduction of sound to movies shows an evolution from the open desert to an indoor projection, equipped with lighting, sound production and scripts. This part of the film shows production trying to record a scene of Nellie however there are many problems that go alongside this. The difficulty with markers, sound, cameras, interruptions and lighting may be humorous to the audience at times but eventually leads to arguments, tears and a potential death at the end of the scene. The rigidity and difficulty in adapting to the new form of film is particularly demonstrated through Nellie in her inability to change herself from the fiery, irrational character she is at the beginning to a more compliant and dainty figure to fit into the new unrealistic standards and positions for all women in film.

As well as this, the movie stresses the amount of racism that was encountered in this era. Whilst this area asked for individuality, they also asked not to go against the expectations of society. A key moment exposing this was through Sidney Palmer, a talented, black trumpet player. He is shown to be becoming a rising figure from the introduction of sound to film. But in one of the most heartbreaking scenes, he is told he must darken his skin with black coal in order to conform to the racist preconceptions surrounding jazz music. A more subtle issue explored is the whitewashing of Manny Torres. In the beginning, he introduces himself as Manuel Torres and is called names such as ‘Chico’. However, he soon transitions to being called Manny. The eradication of his former name in the industry allows him to be more attached to an American persona and his Mexican immigrant status to be erased.

At the end of the movie, Manny Torres goes to the cinema and watches a familiar movie many will know- Mary Poppins. The development of movies is really denoted here as it continually transitions from Manny to the contemporary world of Hollywood film we see today. The ending is left open for interpretation with Manny crying whilst watching the film- is it for the evolving beauty of movies or is he crying for the unnoticed pain he and others have experienced? This answer is unclear but what is made clear throughout the entire film is that Hollywood isn’t as inclusive and rewarding as it is initially seen.

Kate Hayhurst

Nottingham '24

Kate is the Head of Reviews at the Nottingham Her Campus, where she is the first point of contact for anyone seeking help writing reviews and collaborates with outside projects and companies for reviews. Her interests are in lifestyle and entertainment. She is currently a final-year student at the University of Nottingham. In her free time, she plays netball, leads a charity combating Period Poverty, engages with creativity and always drinks iced coffee.