A Broke Student’s Guide to Christmas Gifts

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

It’s officially December! No more judgemental looks from your friends when you blast Michael Bublé in the shower, no more starting longingly at the bag of cheap Christmas decorations you’ve stashed under the stairs from last year and no more lectures about how it’s unlucky to put up the tree in November – It’s time to deck the (uni) halls!

If you’re anything like me, you’ve thought long and hard about all the cute gifts you’re going to get your friends and family this year with a little less thought about how you’re actually going to fund it… because let’s be real – Christmas presents aren’t exactly student-trying-to-pay-their-rent friendly. If you’re on the hunt for a meaningful gift on a budget, be it for your Secret Santa or your SO, I’ve got you.

1. MUGS (UNDER £10)

If you have a friend who loves coffee or tea, check out one of these ceramic mugs off Etsy. Not only are they super cute and unique, but you’ll also be supporting a small business. Alternatively, if you know someone who prefers an ice coffee, how about getting them a glass tumbler for when they’re on the go.

2. LUXURY HOT CHOCOLATE (UNDER £10)

Everyone loves a hot chocolate on a cold Xmas night. Check out these luxury hot chocolates from Whittard, you can get them separately or as a gift set (my personal favourite is the crème brulee white hot chocolate).

3. CANDLES (UNDER £15)

Candles are a great gift when you can’t think of what to buy someone as they’re almost guaranteed to be put to good use (not to mention how fun it is running around Homesense sticking your nose in all the candles).

4. PENGUIN CLASSIC DELUXE EDITIONS OR CHILTERN CLASSICS (UNDER £20)

We all have a book worm in our lives, so why not get them their favourite novel in a beautifully detailed cover that would look perfect on any bookshelf. It’s a thoughtful gift that is sure to be appreciated.

5. ADULT COLOURING BOOK (UNDER £10)

Adult colouring books might not come to mind when brainstorming gift ideas, however they are actually really great outlets for relaxation and mindfulness. Pair it with a nice set of colour pencils or pens and you’ve got yourself a truly wholesome present.  

6. ANYTHING FROM THE ORDINARY (UNDER £10)

The Ordinary is not only an amazing skincare brand but is really affordable when you don’t want to break your bank. You can gift friends and family anything from facial serums to shampoo to foundation, they really do it all. 

7. EXPERIENCES

If you and a friend/ SO are both tight on money, instead of buying each other Christmas presents you could gift each other with an experience. It’s thoughtful, intimate, and probably worth more than any material present.

Laura Batten

Nottingham '23

My name is Laura - Social Media Editor and EDI Officer at HC University of Nottingham. I am a third year student studying English Language and Literature with an unhealthy obsession with cats, coffee and travel!