ethan robertson SYx3UCHZJlo unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
ethan robertson SYx3UCHZJlo unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

8 Ways To Make Your Summer Worthwhile

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

The concept of time keeps us sane. It gives us a beginning and an end; a time to finish, and a time to start something new. It can allow us to forgive ourselves for mistakes we have made, or to simply build on what we have already accomplished.

The end of another academic year is a great opportunity to close one chapter and start anew. And what better place to start than in summer break?

1. Do something new.

In my case, I am going somewhere new: the Big Apple. Not only that, but it is the first time I will be in a foreign country alone. Trying something new not only creates exciting memories, but it also builds confidence in other areas of life. As they say, if you can make it in New York…

2. Challenge yourself.

Unfortunately, one can’t travel to New York by foot. Which means I have to face my hugely (ir)rational fear of flying. But while doing something that terrifies you may make you feel vulnerable at first, there’s nothing quite like overcoming that fear… hopefully.

3. Get a new wardrobe.

As we’re trying to boost our confidence, nothing can do that quite like a new outfit or ten. Show off the new and improved you by buying clothes that make you feel good. Appearance isn’t everything, but it helps to know you look your best, even if you aren’t feeling your best. 

4. Rest.

Whether it’s waving your shirt about in Ocean or studying until 2am, student life is exhausting. Lack of sleep is not only terrible for your body, but psychologically harmful too: problems feel way worse when you’re sleep-deprived. So make use of your newly found free time and get those hours of sleep back – it’ll be tough, but you can do it.

5. Do what you never had time to do.

I am the type of student that has no concept of balance. Which means I never have time to do stuff like hobbies, or binge-watch a TV series. So with your time off, start that hobby you always wanted to do: go for walks, have a bath, meditate; or watch the new series of Orange is the New Black in one go.

6. Start studying.

Okay, don’t hate me. Handing in that last essay may mark the end of semester, but it doesn’t mean the end of your degree. Whether it’s beginning your final year project, or simply starting on that reading list, nothing will make you feel more prepared for the upcoming academic year than starting it. I’m going to try this one, I swear.

7. Work experience.

Whilst university is a great stepping stone, having that degree on its own won’t make you stand out. Whether you have that dream job in mind, or simply want to explore what’s out there – adding something to your CV won’t do anything but good.

8. Make a change.

Maybe this academic year you made the wrong friends, had a bad relationship, developed unhealthy habits or didn’t work hard enough. What will you do differently this time around? It may feel like the damage is done, or there is too much to do. Just stop and evaluate what needs to change, and more likely than not, something can be done – you have time. 

Edited by Georgina Varley

Sources:

http://blog.admissions.berkeley.edu

http://ndk.sk/wp-content/u

http://i.imgur.com

media.tumblr.com

buzzfed.com

Anna Vujicic

Nottingham

Harriet Dunlea is Campus Correspondent and Co-Editor in Chief of Her Campus Nottingham. She is a final year English student at the University of Nottingham. Her passion for student journalism derives from her too-nosey-for-her-own-good nature.