This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

From Tik Tok famous romance novels to Austen’s classics, it seems as though 2022 is going to be full of movie and tv adaptations. So whether you’re the type of person to be sat in the cinema with a copy of your favourite book in hand, making sure it isn’t being slaughtered by Hollywood, or if you have never even heard of half of these books before an adaptation was announced, here are 7 of the most highly anticipated adaptations being released this year.

Daisy Jones and The Six

Taylor Jenkins Reid’s novel rose to popularity on ‘booktok’ over lockdown, with amazon announcing a 13 episode limited series in early 2021. Produced by Reese Witherspoon, the novel follows a band (said to be inspired by Fleetwood mac) on their rise to fame, highlighting the two lead singers’ secret romance. Starring Riley Keough (Elvis Presley’s granddaughter) and Sam Claflin as the two leads, the series will be on amazon at some point this summer, with the exact release date yet to be announced.

My Policeman  

Another amazon owned adaptation, based on the Bethan Roberts novel of the same name, My Policeman is set to be released in theatres at some point in July 2022. Starring Harry Styles and Emma Corrin, the movie has already received plenty of traction from fans, with many anticipating academy nominations for Styles’ role in this as well as from his other movie ‘Don’t Worry Darling’ also set to come out this year.

It Ends With Us

Possibly one of the most highly anticipated ‘booktok’ adaptations, Colleen Hoover’s dark romance ‘It Ends With Us’ is also set to hit the big screen soon. Although casting has not been announced yet, Justin Baldoni has shared updates of him developing the screenplay on social media, with the first draft announced on Tik Tok in October 2021.

Where the Crawdads Sing

In theatres July 2022, Delia Owens bestselling novel ‘Where the Crawdads Sing’ will be starring Daisy Edgar-Jones, Taylor John Smith and Harris Dickson. Following two different storylines, one following the murder of a young man, and the other following a young girl growing up in North Carolina in the 50s and 60s, this is definitely a must read before it hits the cinemas this summer.

Persuasion

Yet another adaptation of Austen’s classic novel, this version will be starring Dakota Johnson and Henry Golding, giving fans of period pieces more to look forward to this year. Although filming wrapped a few months ago the release date is still to be announced by Netflix.

Lady Chatterley’s Lover

It seems as though Emma Corrin will have a good 2022, starring in Netflix’s other period piece. Based on the once banned 1928 book by D.H Lawrence about a woman having an affair with a working class man, the release date is still to be announced.

She Said

Based on the true story of the two New York Times journalists who broke the story of the Harvey Weinstein sexual assault allegations. ‘She Said’ will be starring Zoe Kazan and Carey Mulligan as the two journalists and authors of the book, and can be seen in theatres from November 18th.

Maya Zarri

Nottingham '23

English graduate from the University of Nottingham, currently studying an MA in Fashion Communications Get in touch! - maya.zarri@gmail.com